Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shiplap firebricks for oven floor

Hello everybody!

I'm planning on making a 48" internal dia. round oven and have already firebricks leftover from construction of a barrel vault. I'm still just on the planning stage, though. Still a lot of things to be done. But I would like to thank Forno Bravo for this wonderful site first!

The barrel oven was supposedly for pizza and baking breads, but after using it for quite some time I realize that I could not cool it fast enough to make bread. Before the temp goes down to bread temps I have to fire it up again for pizza. I let the fire die down at 10pm and start the fire at 7am the next day so I could start baking pizza at 9am. No bread.

Still planning and reading through tons of information in the forum.

Kulas

btw, has anybody used shiplap tiles/bricks?

Re: Shiplap firebricks for oven floor

Hi Kulas,

What are shiplap bricks anyway?

Sarah

Comment

I second that question...do tell

RT

Comment

I have not seen it yet but the refractory supplier said the sugar mill uses it for their kiln. I have only seen it in a drawing. I'll post.

I asked them if its properties are the same as the fire brick, they said 44% alumina, silica is about 38%. I'm guessing here, I actually cant find their mail that says alumina and silica content. I will post to correct if I'm mistaken when I find that mail. But I have the diagram. View the attachment below.
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a mostly industrial item but it sounds as if it could be used - would it be less expensive or more easily accessible than firebrick where you are?
          (Not sure if 'PH' in in North America or elsewhere ...)

I think the only other consideration might be that the firebrick has a very sharp edge which makes them fit together nicely without any gaps. As long as the shiplap stuff doesn't have rounded edges or corners, it seems like it would be fine since you say it's used in a kiln.

Sarah

Comment

Working...
          X