No announcement yet.

Insulation. Which one is the right one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation. Which one is the right one.

Hey guys long time no see. I started working on plans to build a pizza oven like 6 months ago but life got crazy and it got put on hold. No I have a little more time on my hands so I am planning on getting to work on it again pretty soon. I realized that I never really decided exactly how I am going to insulate the oven so I could use some help making that decision now.

First I was thinking 4" of Vermicrete and I still might go that way but I decided I better explore my other options before I make up my mind. We are planning a 36" dome and we are going to frame up 4 walls and stick a shingle roof on top for decoration so that leaves my options for insulation very open ended. I was looking at the blankets again and found a 50Sq ft 6lb roll for 125 is this enough to insulate an oven by itself or would I need 2 rolls of the stuff? My other thought was just doing loose vermiculite inside the enclosure for insulation but I am worried that won't work very well. Does anyone on here have experience insulating with loose vermiculite?

Ideally I would like to use the FB blankets but I could only afford 1 roll if I went that route. Alternatively because it would save so much time and effort the loose vermiculite inside would also be nice but I could probably only do about 4-5" of loose vermiculite over the dome., and if neither of those work I could always go with Vermicrete but I though I would see what the general consensus is on that subject around here.

There are cheaper places to get the insulation om the net. And if you fill the enclosure with vermiculite it is suprising how much it can take. I used 36 cf over the top of my 3" of blankets. So that was 12 bags at 15$ each so with tax almost 200$ I know I spent less than that on blanket. Look at McGills warehouse they have great prices.

Randy

Comment

I agree. Just shop around and get the best value you can, being on a tight budget. And consider heat breaks and a good insulated door to aid in heat retention.
      My Build:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Working...
      X