Chimney spec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood11,

You're very welcome. I'm just wondering if the pics and links made sense? Now that all of the superbowl weekend cooking is over, I may be able to elaborate more if necessary. It has been a full weekend of firing the oven, caveman steaks, roasts, oysters redneckefeller and all the usual cold beverages .
    Last edited by Gulf; 02-06-2017, 06:53 PM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf what exactly are oysters redneckfeller? They sound tasty.

Randy

Comment

"Oysters Redneckefeller" is a term that I coined.

Oysters Rockefeller and New Orleans grilled oysters are both favorites of mine. Oysters Rockefeller is the original and is baked in an oven. Both require fresh oysters in the shell, keeping the bottom part of the shell for the cook. I'm about an hour inland from the gulf and can only get live, whole oysters in bags of 100 on special order. However, it is real easy to buy shucked oysters in pint sizes, about 24 to the jar. I have been working on my own recipe for oysters Rockefeller using the shucked oysters. Others have been working on this, so there are stainless steel and ceramic oyster shells available. But, they are very proud of them $$.

The recipe for the original Oysters Rockefeller is a closely guarded secret by Antoine's in NOLA. There are many rip off recipes on the net that are very close to the flavor. This one is very close to what I do but, I use collard greens and yellow onions to replace the spinach. I also replace the anise flavored liqueur with Ameretto. The kicker to what I do is using shallow muffin pans in place of the oyster shells. It gets a zero for presentation, but it scores very high on the taste test. Since my wife does not eat oysters, I make a pan or two with shrimp in the same sauce. That is real good too. I'm not finished experimenting. The pan in the pic was done @ 350F. The pans that I used are oven safe up to 400F. I'm looking for some more that can cook safely up to 450F or higher. I also intend to try some with a live fire in the oven. I will let you know how that turns out.

Also note that his recipe is best eaten with french bread to sop up all the juices left in the pan from the oysters.
        Last edited by Gulf; 02-07-2017, 08:12 PM.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

When I had an opportunity to visit Gulf last fall, he was going to make these for me but the weather did not cooperate so he owe's me a batch next time I am in NOLA. Did order some in NOLA but I am sure his are better ;-)
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Russell,

Your right. Next time, I hope that I can do a full WFO version for you and Joan. Also, maybe some collard greens cooked in the fireplace. I think that ya'll will like them better than ya'll did the turnip greens .

Comment

Working...
            X