Announcement

Collapse

Forum Restore

If you’re a frequent visitor of the forum, you may have noticed that several new posts are missing from the past week. The team team was informed of an issue in the code and had to restore our forum to fix the issue. We thank you for continuing to be a part of the WFO community and enhancing the experiment of everyone in it.
See more
See less

Can I use P-Crete....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use P-Crete....

So as I am still trying to wonk out some issues in my design I had a question. Can I use p-crete to more or less 'shape the outside of my dome to make it not a dome? In this pic you can see what I am trying to do. There will be 2" of ceramic fiber insulation and then 2" of p-crete. What I want to do is build up the corners where the fire brick is essentially covering the firebrick completely to help eliminate water getting into the floor. I don't want to do a full enclosure because the location where this will go is right below a bank of windows on my house. and if I have a large roof structure it blows the view because you would be looking at the side of a roof.

A stucco dome is a lower profile. I would imagine that there would not be any issue with doing so but thought I would ask first. Oh and since someone will bring it up this is a one piece, 42" cast that is cast in place so I need to cast on top of the floor. At least thats how my forms are designed at the moment.

Once you are insulated you should be good to go. If you can swing it I would go thicker then two inches. You will thank yourself later.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
      Once you are insulated you should be good to go. If you can swing it I would go thicker then two inches. You will thank yourself later.
      I assume you mean thicker on the blanket? I may it's only $100 for another inch.

Comment

Yes, insulation is everything. You will appreciate the fact that you can cook something three days after the fire.
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Perlcrete or vermicrete is an ideal material to do what you are intending. If you make it lean it is also an extremely good insulator. A mix of 10:1 with a little (around a handful for every litre of cement added) of powdered clay works well. Make sure you add the correct amount of water to the mix, which is which is just a little less than when the water begins to pool in the bottom of your barrow. This will be around 3 parts water fo 10 parts vermiculite or perlite and 1 part cement, by volume, but the water addition needs some adjustment depending on the grade of the vermiculite or perlite, the finer the grade the more water is required. I find a 50/50 mix of perlite and vermiculite makes a superior mix than using either of them alone.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
            Perlcrete or vermicrete is an ideal material to do what you are intending. If you make it lean it is also an extremely good insulator. A mix of 10:1 with a little (around a handful for every litre of cement added) of powdered clay works well. Make sure you add the correct amount of water to the mix, which is which is just a little less than when the water begins to pool in the bottom of your barrow. This will be around 3 parts water fo 10 parts vermiculite or perlite and 1 part cement, by volume, but the water addition needs some adjustment depending on the grade of the vermiculite or perlite, the finer the grade the more water is required. I find a 50/50 mix of perlite and vermiculite makes a superior mix than using either of them alone.
            Thanks David. That's what I was after. Was looking to add some cosmetic form without the thermal mass.

Comment

Working...
            X