Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwatkins
    replied
    The old Chicago bricks and mortar are a very close match to the brick and mortar on our house that was built in 1961.

Leave a comment:

• Dwatkins
    replied
    I was able to get the chimney throat stacked out this past week and once both sides were complete the top was remarkably close to level. I came back with a 4” grinder and cleaned up all the joints but wanted to note the ½” gap between the throat and the dome wall. You can see the lower bricks where I brought the blanket around stopping short to allow for the high temp caulk. I will fill the void with some cutoff strips of blanket where the throat curve starts. Also the anchor plate will be two courses higher than what is shown here.

Leave a comment:

• Dwatkins
    replied
    Started on the chimney throat and put together the form. Dry laid the bricks to get an idea of how to cut them and hope to get the chimney built up to the top of the arch which is where I will start the SS chimney pipe. I also pickup another load of (250) old Chicago brick, this is about half way through unloading and stacking.

Leave a comment:

• fox
    replied
    Looking very good!

Leave a comment:

• Dwatkins
    replied
    Started the curing over the weekend, started with this small fire. Temp came up to about 150 and stayed for a few hours. Will not do anymore curing until I finish the chimney but wanted to get a start. First pic is the simple jig I use for cutting the angle on both ends for all the outer wall bricks. Just a piece of 5/8 plywood with a 1x2 screwed to it on an angle. The outer wall forms the buttress where they meet the chimney arch.

Leave a comment:

• Dwatkins
    replied
    OK, so I went back to www.breadstoneovens.com here in Dallas and picked up another box of ceramic blanket, third box. As I said in the previous post, I was about 10sq ft short of having 3" on the entire dome after the second box and for what I have spent another buck and a quarter is not going to matter and I also don't want to skimp on the build so now most of the dome has 4". I used the orange string to hold the blanket in place until I got the chicken wire on and then untied the end and the string was easy to remove. Once the wire was in place I started back on the outside brick wall and the front on the arch landing.

Leave a comment:

• Dwatkins
    replied
    Decided to go back and pick up another box is what I intended to say on the previous post.

Leave a comment:

• Dwatkins
    replied
    Picked up some CF blanket, fortunate to have a place local. Got both boxes on and about 10sq ft short in having 3" thick. When back and got another so will have 4' on most. I will save some to use when I build the door.

Leave a comment:

• Dwatkins
    replied
    I added a coat of Heat Stop 50 to the dome, just to add a little more mass and will start the blanket this week. I did a dry fit on the face of the "landing", looks kind of massive right now but I believe once I bring the outer wall up it should look just fine.

Leave a comment:

• Dwatkins
    replied
    Finally got it capped last week. Have not had much time the past few days but will start the outer arch and chimney soon, also ordering the blanket and chimney pipe.

Leave a comment:

• Dwatkins
    replied
    Hey Russell,
    Yes, I am about at that point.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    You may need to go to 1/3 bricks these last few courses due to the tight diameter.

Leave a comment:

• Dwatkins
    replied
    Didn't get it closed up this weekend but should be able to this week. These last few rows are a challenge, every side seems to new to be cut. Then trying to clean up the inside.

Leave a comment:

• Dwatkins
    replied
    Hoping to get this closed up by the weekend. Getting very close with about two more chains before the cap. Again the Dome Claws are extremely helpful. Harbor Freight 10" brick saw has worked far better than expected.

Leave a comment:

• Dwatkins
    replied
    Made good progress this past week. Finished the inner arch and cutting in the wall to tie in is a pain. Mark a brick, look at it, remark it, cut it, try to fit it and cut again. But did up above the arch so clear sailing from here. I cannot express how great Steve's Dome claws work. Using the IT to position and then attach the claw.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X