Looking for affirmation!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shanxk8 View Post
    Here is the discussion i was pointed to in regards to adding a vent when completing the dome with stucco (or tile). I've yet to stucco, so still need to source a breather vent for this application. (hopefully soon)

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...omments-please
    I’m building a Casa 2G90 and went with Gulf’s recommendation and used a vent from an auto parts store. The only ones I found were breather vents for crank cases. A bit on the large size but should work really well and keep rain and bugs out. If you go to my build on the FB oven thread You can see it sticking out of the lath in some of those pics. Good luck!

Comment

Ready to add the first layer of vermicrete on the dome which was finished just over a week ago. I assume we don't need chicken wire or anything, just mix the Perlite and Portland Cement and apply approx 2" this first time around? Trying to beat the rain...plan on waiting at least a week between each layer of vermicrete. The dome itself it definitely not dry...the mortar is darker in most places, but has been sitting, covered some of the time due to rain, for over a wk. The vent sounds like it could really help if we have significant moisture. thank you!

Comment

here's the dome sans insulation. we have added to fill the spaces shown at the vent.

Comment

You may want to cover the vermicrete layer with chicken wire to give some strength to the outer rendered shell. I don't because it takes a lot of time and you also need to make the shell thicker to ensure the chicken wire is properly embedded. I find random fibres a far better and quicker, but more expensive solution. I use AR random glass fibres but there are lots of other options.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thank you. David. Would something like LaHabra stucco-reinforcing mesh work when embedded in the base layer? Then a layer of the waterproofing material I think. Wow...these pizza ovens get very spendy!!!

Comment

Better (easier) yet and surely less expensive: QUIKRETE® Base Coat Stucco - Fiber Reinforced (No. 1139-78) - a Portland cement based stucco. Anyone ever used this?

Comment

I’ve not used this product, but like chicken wire it may be difficult to form it over a dome, being compound curve. Initially I got around this problem by placing sections about a square foot each under the stucco layer as applying it. Far easier and quicker (time is money) to use random fibres. The AR fibreglass fibres I find best as they’re soft to handle and a rough sand of the surface quickly deals with any protruding from the surface. Like I said there are many fibres available.

Comment

Ok. I've Googled AR fibres but without luck...what does the AR stand for?

Comment

Ah found it. So I just mix those loose fibers into the stucco, yes? Then apply the water-resistant top?

Comment

Alkaline Resistant. They’re coated with zirconium to prevent the cement from degrading them. They are used widely by the concrete counter top guys.

Comment

Great - looks like something that Buddy Rhodes or Nycon carries - one bag to a bag of stucco?

Comment

The Quikrete Stucco has zirconia-based fibers...good?

Comment

Sounds good.

Comment

Working...
                            X