web analytics
Oven enclosure smoldering - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oven enclosure smoldering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oven enclosure smoldering

    Can perlite go right up against my double wall stainless steel flue? I just finished my oven enclosure - metal studs, cement board siding and 14 gauge metal roof - and fired my clay oven. Had the oven up to temperature all day and everything was great - even cooked my first pizza. Now I have smoldering smoke coming out of my enclosure. I did add some green fiber insulation on top of my perlite (probably overkill) but kept it away from my flue. I only did this after seeing a YouTube video where a guy couldn’t ignite green fiber with a torch. My whole enclosure is metal and concrete. I sure hope that I don’t have to take my roof off to redo my insulation.

  • #2
    I’d get rid of the Greenfiber insulation. It is just cellulose that is treated with fire retardant which is fine for short duration exposure to high temperature but isn’t intended for long term exposure. The ‘smoldering’ is likely the fire retardant outgassing. I’d switch to something really inflammable - either more perlite or Rockwool.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks - that helps. Right now I'm trying to smother it out with a wet tarp draped over the enclosure. I was thinking that if I got it to quit smoking then I'd remove one of the four roof panels, get rid of the Greenfiber and add more perlite. I'm a little nervous removing one of the roof panels with it still smoking.

      Comment


      • #4
        It probably wont flash over, when removing a panel but, I can't gurantee that. I have pulled down dry wall ceilings to expose smoldering cellulose. That treated newspaper crap will smolder for weeks unless it is removed from a structure and then soaked.
        Last edited by Gulf; 11-10-2018, 02:23 PM.
        joe watson

        "A year from now, you will wish that you had started today "

        My Build
        My Picasa Web Album

        Comment


        • #5
          Do I need to wear a mask or take any other precautions when I remove the roof panel? The structure is out in the open with nothing combustible around it.

          Comment


          • #6
            All smoke is dangerous to breath. If it does flash over, one breath of flaming gasses can sear the lungs. Any time that I was working house fires, I had on full turnout gear. Do you have any friends with the Fire Department? Our's is all voulunteer here in the county where I live.
            joe watson

            "A year from now, you will wish that you had started today "

            My Build
            My Picasa Web Album

            Comment

            Working...
            X