X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Second hand bricks

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Sheep Les, sheep

This is a pic I sent out a while back titled "Field of Dreams - It's Saturday night, who's my date".

Les...

I don't know about the rest of you but I would give a lot to have that kind of view out my windows. I live here in suburbia not far from New York City and all I get to see are track housing, strip malls, and lot of traffic. Enjoy it.

--mr.jim
    --mr.jim
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    The real art of conversation is not only to say the correct thing at the right time, but also to leave
    unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

Comment

New Zealand is a great place. If my memory works I beleive that the WETA workshop is based there. A great deal of the "Lord of the Rings" was filmed on location in New Zealand.. beatiful country. Maybe if George and I say nice enough things we could get invited to a pizza bash ?
      Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Originally posted by n2iko View Post
        I don't know about the rest of you but I would give a lot to have that kind of view out my windows. I live here in suburbia not far from New York City and all I get to see are track housing, strip malls, and lot of traffic. Enjoy it.

--mr.jim
        That's not the Somer's I remember. I used to live in the Hudson Valley. My dad and I used to help a faculty member of JFK Catholic with a soccer camp each summer for about 5 years or so. My how things have changed!
        Best
        Dutch
        "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
        "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

So Frances, if you don't speak Swedish, what is that noise coming out of your mouth? Sheepish?
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchoven View Post
            That's not the Somer's I remember. I used to live in the Hudson Valley. My dad and I used to help a faculty member of JFK Catholic with a soccer camp each summer for about 5 years or so. My how things have changed!
            Best
            Dutch
            Yes things have changed here and not for the better. The actual town of Somers is still historical and kept mostly as it was during the American Revoloution but the areas surrounding us have fallen to the tract housing developers. There are still the high end mansions surrounded by green belt. To the west of me looks like I previously described. I used to love it here in Westchester but it is a now a sprawl.

--mr.jim
            --mr.jim
            The real art of conversation is not only to say the correct thing at the right time, but also to leave
            unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

Comment

N2iko - You can't even imagin Puget Sound WA's growth since I was a boy. Idillic became a rush hour - all day long. Subtle became ostentatious. Pure became tainted. Someone said (though tonight, I cannot at this moment remember who) You can never go home. Sadly, it all changes regardless of our best efforts to retain in in our minds for what it once was.
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Kiwi Bashing

I've worked with a couple of Kiwis. Great people. But this site is always fun to spring on them:

AdultSheepFinder - The Worlds #1 Sheep Sex and Dating Personals Site

Then I walk away humming the old Cat Stevens tune......

"Another Saturday night and I ain't got nobody
                I've got some money 'cause I just got paid
                Now, how I wish I had someone to talk to
                I'm in an awful way"

Comment

Anyone have any good tips, stories, or hints on best places/ways to find cheap/free materials? Hang around construction sites? Salvaging old homes? Fruends or family contacts? Blind luck?
                  ------------------------
                  "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." - Henry Ford

Comment

See if there's a Freecycle network in your area. Try Craigslist.

Where is Madison? Kinda like saying where is Springfield.......

Edit...Whoops. Sorry, just saw the Wisconsin.

Try here for the Freecycle: madisonfreecycle : Madison & Dane County Freecycle Resource
                    Last edited by jbaker; 05-28-2008, 06:05 PM.

Comment

I just keep asking questions and hanging wanted posters. I have found 8x8x16" concrete blocks free for the taking by the hundreds and most are in perfect condition. Now if I can find the bricks... I may have some of those coming my way. I found two outdoor fireplaces that were lined with fire bricks, just waiting on the word to dismantle them.
                      Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
                      like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

Originally posted by cplain View Post
                        Anyone have any good tips, stories, or hints on best places/ways to find cheap/free materials? Hang around construction sites? Salvaging old homes? Fruends or family contacts? Blind luck?
                        Call the demolition contractors in your area and see what buildings are being taken down....a lot of old schools had boilers lined with firebrick.

Craigslist can be good for bits and pieces (found 8000 red bricks yesterday for .25 each)

...just keep your eyes open driving around

if you don't ask, you don't get!
                        Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Great tips...I joined the freecycle group mentioned. Should have realized Madison would have such a group. Madison is Capital of Wisconsin, in south central part of the state and one of the great bastions of liberalism and environmetaluism...we make Al Gore look like an Exxon Executive. So I hoping there'll be lots of recycling opportunities. Thanks for ideas all...
                          ------------------------
                          "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                          X