Some basic design elements questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some basic design elements questions

I posted the question yesterday about indoor ovens and have a couple more basic design elements I'm curious about as I begin my process.
    First, the oven I'd be building would be for home use: pizza once or twice a week, and bread 2-3 times weekly. I currently make pizzas on a baking stone in my gas oven, 3 or 4 16" pies, and one at a time. What is the minimum diameter oven that would enable me to do the same, and should the oven's i.d. allow for fuel and fire throughout the cooking process, or once up to temp. is it reasonable to expect that a continuous fire isn't necessary?

That brings me to my next related question which is, given an oven core thickness of 2-2.5" along with two 1-1.5" layers of ceramic blanket what is the minimum outer cladding layer necessary for structural integrity, and do I understand correctly that it's the inner core and ceramic that comprise the oven's heat retaining abilities and not so much the outer layer?

Thanks, Daniel

Daniel, you should get a copy of the FB oven plans from our host - they answer some of the basic questions you might have and are a good start for a build. For a couple of quick answers, most pizza is cooked with a small side fire after the oven has come up to temperature. The fire/heat bouncing off the top of the dome back on the pies help the toppings cook and cheese melt without having the bottom burn. Also most brick ovens are build with the bricks on their side giving a 4.5 inch thickness, for the dome, and laid on the floor to provide a 2.5 inch depth. The bricks and any mortar used provide the thermal mass, and the ceramic blanket surrounding the dome and board (or perlite mix) under the floor is to keep all the heat in. This is all covered pretty well in the plans.
    My build thread
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Originally posted by JRPizza View Post
      Daniel, you should get a copy of the FB oven plans from our host - they answer some of the basic questions you might have and are a good start for a build. For a couple of quick answers, most pizza is cooked with a small side fire after the oven has come up to temperature. The fire/heat bouncing off the top of the dome back on the pies help the toppings cook and cheese melt without having the bottom burn. Also most brick ovens are build with the bricks on their side giving a 4.5 inch thickness, for the dome, and laid on the floor to provide a 2.5 inch depth. The bricks and any mortar used provide the thermal mass, and the ceramic blanket surrounding the dome and board (or perlite mix) under the floor is to keep all the heat in. This is all covered pretty well in the plans.
      Thank you for the response. I should clarify, I'm planning to cast the dome rather than build with firebrick. That's why I referred to a 2-2.5" thickness core. Thanks, Daniel

Comment

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the forum. I'm going to suggest that we combine your two threads. Once a member responds to a thread they are automatically following that thread and will get notifications. If you start a new thread for each question, pertinant information about your build might not be obvious in each individual thread. The responders in each thread will only get notifications for that particular thread. For example, your first thread Indoor pizza oven feasibility announces that you are intending to build an indoor oven. As the build progresses, you may get a different response by someone who does not know all the background information. Also, it makes it easier for some future builder to follow.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
          Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the forum. I'm going to suggest that we combine your two threads. Once a member responds to a thread they are automatically following that thread and will get notifications. If you start a new thread for each question, pertinant information about your build might not be obvious in each individual thread. The responders in each thread will only get notifications for that particular thread. For example, your first thread Indoor pizza oven feasibility announces that you are intending to build an indoor oven. As the build progresses, you may get a different response by someone who does not know all the background information. Also, it makes it easier for some future builder to follow.
          Thanks, I should've considered that myself and just added my questions to the first thread.

Comment

Working...
          X