Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ground my floor tiles. Showing more pitting. How to grind / polish fire brick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grahamstein View Post
    I'd be tempted to get some heat stop mortar and fill any pits in the floor, then fire it as if it was a new oven and see what happens.
    Just like others have commented about safety of water glass before cure. Is heatstop safe to direct cook on? Just wondering if you know. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by stevef22 View Post
      They have about 1/2" in of 3:1:1:1 fire motar under them, stuck to bottom.
      That might be a problem then...The mnkix to secure hearth bricks should be 50/50 of sand and clay and wet to a peanut butter consistency to set the floor no lime or portand in the mix. If one fails or cracks you would be able to take it out. This is what I would do just my opinion. Obviously your concerned and not happy with what you see. I would leave all the perimeter brick and change out the whole bricks and the bricks thatvwould butt up to your landing/heat break if you have one going in. If you mortatered these on top of silicate board it should come up easy but the first one my be hard but after that the rest should pop off easier as your able to get at it easier. just don't gouge the silicate board with tools. You will be much happier and glad you did it and now you won't jave toworry about a secondary product coming in contact with your food. Sometimes it takes more energy and thought to find a way to bandaid something then just ripping it off and doing it so you will be happy afterall your going to enjoy this oven for years to come.

Ricky
      My Build Pictures
      https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

read the msds
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks everyone. I might flip and see if that works If not no biggie. I can live with a little pitting on floor.

Not ready to play chemist with my life for some pizza. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Chach View Post

That might be a problem then...The mnkix to secure hearth bricks should be 50/50 of sand and clay and wet to a peanut butter consistency to set the floor no lime or portand in the mix. If one fails or cracks you would be able to take it out. This is what I would do just my opinion. Obviously your concerned and not happy with what you see. I would leave all the perimeter brick and change out the whole bricks and the bricks thatvwould butt up to your landing/heat break if you have one going in. If you mortatered these on top of silicate board it should come up easy but the first one my be hard but after that the rest should pop off easier as your able to get at it easier. just don't gouge the silicate board with tools. You will be much happier and glad you did it and now you won't jave toworry about a secondary product coming in contact with your food. Sometimes it takes more energy and thought to find a way to bandaid something then just ripping it off and doing it so you will be happy afterall your going to enjoy this oven for years to come.

Ricky
            I think it’s better to keep the sand/clay levelling mix dry rather than wet so the floor bricks can expand independently and freely. it also has the advantage of making the floor bricks more easily removable. As the insulation board is so absorbent any wet mix also tends to dry as soon as it’s applied making the levelling job difficult.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by stevef22 View Post
              Thanks everyone. I might flip and see if that works If not no biggie. I can live with a little pitting on floor.

Not ready to play chemist with my life for some pizza. lol
              I understand. However, remember that the msds apply to the SS in un-cured form. Compare with portland cement for example, it is very harmful when dry and wet, but used as countertops once cured.

Comment

Working...
              X