Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thickness of Vermiculite/Concrete Insulation Base

Hi,

I am having trouble figuring out how thick to lay my vermicrete slab on top of my concrete support slab. I've seen anywhere from 2'' to 8'' thick of a 5:1 mixture. I would like to keep the thickness and weight down to a minimum, if possible.

I am building a dome, most likely out of firebrick, and I think it is most cost effective for me to go with the vermic/concrete mixture as opposed to Ceramic Fiber board.

Thanks

Min 4" 5 to 1 p or vcrete is abt the same as 2" of CaSi or AlSI board.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

The big advantage of a 5:1 vermicrete slab is in cost. The downside is you have to make it thicker than cal sil. for the same performance. It also contains lots of water that needs drying before building over it.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Sorry for questioning, but how come is the recommended ratio specified to 5:1 (~200 psi) while the FB board is ratad to 75 psi as compressive strength? Has anyone tried a leaner (~8:1) mix which collapsued?

discussion from the past:
        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...iber-materials

Comment

Try making an 8:1 vermicrete and I think you’ll agree that it’s not strong enough. Maybe the finer texture of the FB board, which I’m not familiar with, is adequate. Some builders have reported issues with it compressing if it gets wet. Cal sil board can get wet but it’s strength doesn’t alter. Probably the best solution is foamglass which doesn’t absorb water.
          Last edited by david s; 05-06-2020, 12:59 PM.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Okej, thanks. As I understand, it is quite trickey to value compressive test results of insulating materials as they are so fragile. What the hand feels does not agree with the measured value and according to your description it seems reasonable.

By the way, I got 7 m3 EPS-concrete poured in the basement a year ago. It is 450 kg/m3, 0.08 W/mK & 2 MPa (300 PSI) and I agree its pretty brittle to the touch.

When I calculate the pressure from the dome (32" ID, 300 kg) , I get a silly low pressure of about 0.012 MPa (1.7 PSI). By just reading the numbers, the safety margin is high, hence the question.
            Last edited by Petter; 05-06-2020, 10:33 PM. Reason: Wrong pressure. 0.012 MPa is correct.

Comment

Hello all, I am a stonemason from Lebanon who trying to build wood fired oven, and I have question if 8 cm slab of vermiculite 5:1 mixture enough for isolation under pizza oven
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20230821-WA0023.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	455139

Comment

Welcome to the forum. The recommended minimum for the 5:1 concrete insulation base is 10-11 cm (4 inches). Be aware that standard bricks may not work very well for the oven as they may spall with the normal, high temperature changes that occur during the firing cycles of these ovens.
                Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you for your help, I am using fire brick offcourse, should i add more vermiculate or can I use ceramic wool blanket because in my region I didn't find ceramic fiber board, or I continue with the 8 cm vermiculite because this project for personal use not commercial?

Comment

Glad to hear you are using fire brick...just wanted to make sure because of the red bricks in your picture. I strongly advise adding another layer of vermicrete (2 to 4 cm, 5:1) on top of your existing 8 cm of base insulation. If you don't, you will lose significant heat to the concrete hearth below and end up using more wood to fire the oven or maintain cooking/baking temperature. The ceramic wool blanket is highly recommended to cover the dome, but if you put it underneath the oven it will compress and not provide much (if any) insulation. You should start your own build thread instead of using this one (started by WalkerW in 2020). It is always good for other builders in your region to learn from your experience on how to cope with finding substitutes for difficult to find materials/equipment.
                    Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                    Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                    Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                    Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you, yes sure I will start my build thread

Comment

Mike gave you the correct advice. Also the dome walls also need to sit on the vcrete and not the concrete hearth so there is not a heat sink.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                        X