No announcement yet.

30" cast pizza oven - scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Dave - I’m a few weeks ahead and your quantities look about right to me except for the sand needed for the dome.

Personally my vermicrete slab had 3 weeks before I built on top but might not have been so long if I’d had the bricks sooner
    My cast oven build thread

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-castable-dome

Comment

Originally posted by Mullster View Post
      Hi Dave - I’m a few weeks ahead and your quantities look about right to me except for the sand needed for the dome.

Personally my vermicrete slab had 3 weeks before I built on top but might not have been so long if I’d had the bricks sooner
      Cheers Mullster, good to know they look OK, in regards to the sand, I take it you used the same sand you used for your mould in the homebrew, or as much as you could salvage? And when you say you don't think the 104kg is correct, do you think I should add another 100kg on to take into account the mould?
      Cheers again mate, your build thread has helped me out no end

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Daveholdn View Post

Cheers Mullster, good to know they look OK, in regards to the sand, I take it you used the same sand you used for your mould in the homebrew, or as much as you could salvage? And when you say you don't think the 104kg is correct, do you think I should add another 100kg on to take into account the mould?
        Cheers again mate, your build thread has helped me out no end

Dave
        Yes exactly the same type of sand - builders sand - the frustrating thing being you need it all at same time and then when the casting is set I’ll be left with 100kg of sand and nothing left to build .

So yes I think 200kg total is about right but didn’t you say you had 200kg arriving anyway in another post?
        My cast oven build thread

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-castable-dome

Comment

Mullster , cheers, I do, I have 200kg on order from MKM but was rethinking amounts, but aye, you need them at the same time don't you don't know where my head was at. Was thinking I could change order to 100kg of play sand for the mould and then what is left after, build a sand pit for the kids, but I think play sand is a lot finer and dryer and would be a nightmare to mould?
          Cheers

Comment

Just to add to the sand castle form comments, I used a load of polystyrene under the sand to reduce the amount needed. In the end I think I only used half a bag of sand but my oven is smaller.

Its easy to cut and shape, I held it in place with wooden cocktail sticks and it was a doddle to remove once the casting was done. If you're lucky to find some for free even better as to buy it's more expensive than sand.

Also a question to the pro's, if you plan to render your dome could you use plastering sand to build the castle that way you can reuse it for the render at a later stage?

Comment

Hattori-Hanzo Thanks, I've loads of bricks to use here though so will try and work around those for the dome.

I daren't take the cover off my vermiculite slab at the moment as there is zero let up in the rain up here so can get a pic for update, but a question about insulation boards on top of the vermiculite hearth; I've ordered 2 x ceramic fibre boards but will have to join them to get the width desired. Has anyone joined CF board before and do I need to use any special sealant or tape? Also I am only using 1" board thickness to sit under my firebricks, will this be enough do you think? I am using slightly thicker fire bricks.

thanks again

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X