Oven stand alignment question ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven stand alignment question ...

Hello! I'm chronicling my build in the Pompeii forum and realized it is for questions of Hearth design and chimney's yet others are putting their whole build there too? Not sure where I should post to get eyes on to get help? I'll post my questions about where they seem most appropriate. My build is in Pompeii construction thread Reviving Pizza History in the Hammer!

So - to my question - I laid out the first course of block and found my slab finish compromised the stability of the blocks (the lads helping insisted on a beveled edge and broom swept - made lots of uneven-ness that I now have to compensate for! - arg!). So - decided to mortar down the first row of block and introduce myself to masonry! I think it went on a bit dry (took a long time to do - learning - and got drier - but did work out - very stiff, 90 degree corners and mostly level). That said, as I did so, I thought I was following the line - but my linear lay is about 1/4" out (bows in) on one side.

Is that a problem? Can I correct subtly on subsequent courses going up?

Also - dry laid bricks on top and found that they are not lining up on one side (wood door opening) - seems the 1/2 block are not true halves of the full!! I have pics below - and again - is this a problem or will it just be hidden by future cladding (do I need to grind flush? Very frustrating!

HELP!

You are welcome to visit my build HERE

So a few questions and maybe some helpful information. How are you planning on finishing the outside of the stand? Stucco and veneer can hide a lot of small mistakes.

As nice as it would be, no not all cement blocks are created in equal dimensions. Granted there should not be a huge variance, but they are all manufactured taking into account that the mortared joints, which typically are 3/8 inch will vary to make upfup the small differences. And it's the Mason's job to make it happen.

A 1/4 inch bow in a wall is not ideal, but can be fixed fairly easily with a scratch coat of mortar, just get a nice long straight edge to screed it with. You can use the pre cut edge of a sheet of plywood in a pinch. Maybe just double it up and make sure it doesn't flex while screeding it.

Comment

Originally posted by Baza View Post
      Hello! I'm chronicling my build in the Pompeii forum and realized it is for questions of Hearth design and chimney's yet others are putting their whole build there too? Not sure where I should post to get eyes on to get help? I'll post my questions about where they seem most appropriate. My build is in Pompeii construction thread Reviving Pizza History in the Hammer!

So - to my question - I laid out the first course of block and found my slab finish compromised the stability of the blocks (the lads helping insisted on a beveled edge and broom swept - made lots of uneven-ness that I now have to compensate for! - arg!). So - decided to mortar down the first row of block and introduce myself to masonry! I think it went on a bit dry (took a long time to do - learning - and got drier - but did work out - very stiff, 90 degree corners and mostly level). That said, as I did so, I thought I was following the line - but my linear lay is about 1/4" out (bows in) on one side.

Is that a problem? Can I correct subtly on subsequent courses going up?

Also - dry laid bricks on top and found that they are not lining up on one side (wood door opening) - seems the 1/2 block are not true halves of the full!! I have pics below - and again - is this a problem or will it just be hidden by future cladding (do I need to grind flush? Very frustrating!

HELP!
      The reason the two half blocks are shorter than a full stretcher is that they are designed to be mortared. If you had a 10mm mortar joint between them they would be the same length as the stretcher.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thank you both for your support and insight! Really appreciative!

How are you planning on finishing the outside of the stand? Stucco and veneer can hide a lot of small mistakes.

Grahamstein yes, it was a thought I had too - like offsetting getting old by putty! Here in Canada - the stucco experiment hasn't gone well with our freeze/thaw cycle so that's out. I'm planning on using a stone veneer - but your point below will have to be an undertaking before that finishing work. I will endeavour to do a scratch coat of mortar - I don't think the bow is longer than 3-4 blocks. david s and yourself point out the variances in the blocks - should have predicted that and will account for that going forward - even with a mortar coat there.

Again - thank you both for your help!
        ​​​​​​​Barry
        You are welcome to visit my build HERE

Comment

Working...
        X