Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JRPizza
    replied
    Well, it looks like something you'd see at a country lodge! I think our FB hosts have an oven picture contest - you should consider submitting some beauty shots

Leave a comment:

• Blairt
    replied
    Thanks guys. I couldn't have built the oven without the help of the good folks on this site! The last few weeks have been really busy - as you can tell! I confess that I hired professionals to do the stone work. I'm extremely pleased with their work and how the entire project has turned out. Looking forward to many years of enjoyment ahead!

Leave a comment:

• MarkJerling
    replied
    Originally posted by Blairt View Post
    Well, it's been a few weeks and we're finally done the stonework! Still have siding to finish etc but SO happy with the results! First pizza party was last night and I'm very impressed with the results! Only one minor issue with a pizza sticking but the others went fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fireplace back.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	526.5 KB
ID:	439126 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pizza 2.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	600.9 KB
ID:	439127 Click image for larger version

Name:	Oven.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	666.9 KB
ID:	439128 Click image for larger version

Name:	Oven and Fireplace.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	880.4 KB
ID:	439129 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pizza 1.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	618.1 KB
ID:	439130 Click image for larger version

Name:	Fireplace.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	931.8 KB
ID:	439131
    Wow Blair! Brilliant work! Looks fantastic. Well done.

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Blairt, there was a heck of a lot of work done between posts #46 and #47! It's like that joke flow chart that has a box in the middle stating "then a miracle occurs" That is truly one beautiful setup you have.

Leave a comment:

• Blairt
    replied
    Well, it's been a few weeks and we're finally done the stonework! Still have siding to finish etc but SO happy with the results! First pizza party was last night and I'm very impressed with the results! Only one minor issue with a pizza sticking but the others went fine.

Name:	Fireplace back.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	526.5 KB
ID:	439126 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pizza 2.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	600.9 KB
ID:	439127 Click image for larger version

Name:	Oven.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	666.9 KB
ID:	439128 Click image for larger version

Name:	Oven and Fireplace.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	880.4 KB
ID:	439129 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pizza 1.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	618.1 KB
ID:	439130 Click image for larger version

Name:	Fireplace.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	931.8 KB
ID:	439131

Leave a comment:

• Blairt
    replied
    I decided that I'd do a render coat. I have six 4-foot bags of vermiculite. I used 3 to coat the dome to this point. The remaining 3 I'll pour straight over the dome once I build the doghouse walls. My thought is that I need to remove my portable shed covering in order to build my walls and roof and to allow room for my mason to build the chimney so I might as well get the insulation protection layer on the dome now. I've got a pro doing the chimney in a finishing brick and stone finish. He starts once we get the walls built which will hopefully be in early April. I did put a ceramic rope heat break between the inner arch and the outer archway.

Name:	Outer arch.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	494.1 KB
ID:	436718 Click image for larger version

Name:	dome.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	436717 Click image for larger version

Name:	Insulation Blanket.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	436719 Click image for larger version

Name:	Dome Rendered.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	658.7 KB
ID:	436720

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Basically you want a material that is both flexible and not conductive. Forget high temperature silicon in that position, it is too hot for it. The idea is to use material that is a bit flexible and one that is fireproof and is not conductive. Any fireproof calks that I’ve tried set hard when heated and are no longer flexible. Correct me if anyone has found a product that doesn’t go hard. The ceramic rope remains flexible and a lean vermicrete brew remains a bit flexible.

Leave a comment:

• Blairt
    replied
    Thanks Deejayoh! We have a pottery supplier in the next town over. I'll check with them or purchase online.
    on the vermiculite, I've heard that it's hard to have TOO much insulation so I want to push that envelope. As you say, I can't really add it later.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied
    Originally posted by Blairt View Post
    Hi all. I have a couple of questions:
    I’m planning an expansion gap between my inner arch and the entryway. I have 1/2” ceramic rope to fill the gap but wanted a high temp silicone as well. Having a hard time finding this locally. Even our two local fireplace stores don’t carry it. What temp rating should I be looking for on this silicone?
    i am building a doghouse style cover over the dome. Once I lay the FB blanket down I plan on a coating of mortar and then vermiculite over the entire dome. I have four bags of vermiculite, each 4 cubic feet. Would it be ok to just pour this loose over the dome or should I make a mix of v-Crete ?
    I used Kaowool high-temp caulk, and it worked great. You can find it at pottery suppliers - https://www.sheffield-pottery.com/Hi...wool-p/tcm.htm

As for the vermiculite, you can pour it in loose. no need to form it, just fill up your doghouse. Personally, I think that's overkill if you've put on a few inches of blanket, but then again - you can't really go back and add it later.

Leave a comment:

• Blairt
    replied
    Hi all. I have a couple of questions:
    I’m planning an expansion gap between my inner arch and the entryway. I have 1/2” ceramic rope to fill the gap but wanted a high temp silicone as well. Having a hard time finding this locally. Even our two local fireplace stores don’t carry it. What temp rating should I be looking for on this silicone?
    i am building a doghouse style cover over the dome. Once I lay the FB blanket down I plan on a coating of mortar and then vermiculite over the entire dome. I have four bags of vermiculite, each 4 cubic feet. Would it be ok to just pour this loose over the dome or should I make a mix of v-Crete ?

Leave a comment:

• MarkJerling
    replied
    Well Blair, when I started mine, I'd never laid a brick in my life! LOL

Leave a comment:

• Blairt
    replied
    Thanks Mark. It has been challenging for someone with zero masonry skills and few mechanical skills!

Leave a comment:

• MarkJerling
    replied
    Wow! You have been busy. Well done!

Leave a comment:

• Blairt
    replied
    Been a busy week. I have my dome finished! It sure won't win any awards for beauty but should be functional. I'm amazed at the amount of fireclay left after cutting! I've given the dome a coating of homebrew and will do another over the FB blanket next week.
    The "bump" at the top is a result of a full brick that I covered in mortar when I covered the keystone in the dome. Just thought the extra depth and insulation wouldn't hurt rather than cutting the brick to just fit over the keystone. Since I'm building a doghouse enclosure, the aesthetics of the exterior aren't high on my agenda.

Moving on to planning the chimney...

Name:	Dome half done - IT removed.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	400.1 KB
ID:	436505 Click image for larger version

Name:	Dome complete - inner photo.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	563.7 KB
ID:	436506 Click image for larger version

Name:	Only Keystone Remaining.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	485.8 KB
ID:	436507 Click image for larger version

Name:	Dome complete.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	436508
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    JR, makes more sense after I re-read the post. The joints are fairly wide on the exterior end but I have seen many ovens built this way. Only would caution those who use a commercial mortar such as HeatStop to be a little careful on joint size since the recommended joint width not exceed 1/2" although I have seem some builds with HeatStop or equiv. with much larger than 1/2" joints.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X