Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foxten
    replied
    Here are some photos that might help you guys see what I'm dealing with. I don't know how I would attach a pencil to my style of IT.

Leave a comment:

• foxten
    replied
    I went to the therapist today and I've been diagnosed with "arch anxiety". I'm at course #4/5 and everytime I read JRPizza or UtahBeehiver's posts after searching for "arch", I think I understand what to do, but then I walk outside and keep second guessing myself. Is there any chance somebody could do a 5 minute facetime with me and my arch to set me straight?

One issue I'm having is I don't understand how a pencil helps me. I also don't understand how all of the arch bricks look they have two perpendicular cuts to the vertical. How is that not a compound miter? Maybe the keystone brick would be two 90 degree cuts because it's straight up and down, but all of the arch bricks have an angle. Thanks guys!

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    You will be doing enough cutting on your dome bricks, I sure would not recommend reducing their thickness too. If you are building on your floor and don't want to re-cut those bricks a 39" oven is a great size (that is what I built). If your IT is done you will of course need to shorten it up by a half inch.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    You can make the diameter any size you want.

Leave a comment:

• foxten
    replied
    Alright. New problem!

I made a giant stupid error. I did all my templating based on an 8" long firebrick and my splits would be 4". It turns out it's 9" and my splits will be 4.5". My question is can I just reduce the diameter of my oven from 40" to 39" and use 4.5" splits or do I have to just cut two 4" sections out of each 9" brick?

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Yes but glue some insect mesh over the holes so you don’t lose your sand/clay mix through them.

Leave a comment:

• foxten
    replied
    Awesome. So, here's my plan for the day

1) In my slab I should drill 4 half-inch weep holes underneath my fiber board
    2) Put a mixture of sand and fireclay (is this what you mean by powdered clay?) on top of the slab
    3) Put my fiberboard pieces down
    4) Another 1/4" or so of the sand/fireclay mixture
    5) Firebrick for the base of my hearth on top of sand/fireclay mixture

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    A wet mix is so absorbent it goes hard as soon as it touches the insulation. A dry mix of 50/50 sand and powdered clay works far better. The same dry mix can be used between the insulating board and the floor bricks to get them perfectly level. It is an advantage for them to be loose laid so they can expand and contract freely

Leave a comment:

• MarkJerling
    replied
    There's a few tricks you could use. A wet slurry mix, or some tile grout springs to mind.

Leave a comment:

• foxten
    replied
    OK. So I just made my template and cut all of the FB board and bricks to fit in the template. My problem is my FB board is not laying flat on the slab. Any tricks to get them to lay flat?

Leave a comment:

• foxten
    started a topic New 40" build in Greenville, SC

New 40" build in Greenville, SC

Hey gang,

I'm going to document my build and hopefully get some tips and hopefully avoid some mistakes along the way with your help. I'm building a WFO in a porch addition as part of an overall outdoor living/kitchen area. The WFO is going to be adjacent to a wood burning fireplace and I'm going to be carrying the facade of the fireplace and the adjacent pizza oven all the way to the rafters. I want the face of the fireplace and the facade of the pizza oven above the hearth/dome to be on the same plane. I will be using versetta stone for my facade. I will be mounting OSB around the fireplace once it gets installed this Friday and from reading the eBook, I'll need to use steel studs above the hearth and then face it with hardibacker and then the versetta stone will be installed over the hardibacker. All that being said, what should my landing situation look like to make all of this happen? I'm sure I haven't given enough information, so please tell me what else you need to know. Thanks a lot!
Working...
X