Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help the new guy design the perfect oven for his needs, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help the new guy design the perfect oven for his needs, please.

Yup, I'm new here, sorta. I've done a ton of reading over the last few weeks, often I start by searching something specific about construction and end up reading 30 pages of build threads. If left to my own devices I might not live long enough to finish my own build. Not that I'm in a hurry. At this point I only hope to build the base in the coming year.
    Some background, I've been enjoying pizza since before man walked on the moon, but until recently I'd only tried making my own a few times. In spite of being surrounded by great pizza places I've recently become interested in making my own, for now I want to perfect my Neapolitan and then I'll move on to other styles. I'm getting closer to the target but I've reached the point where a pizza stone in my oven isn't cutting it any more, 567°F just isn't enough. I bought an Ooni Karu 12 and, while I'm loving the wood/coal option, it became obvious that it was just a stepping stone the first time I used it. Now I'm thinking about the next step. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot I like about the little Ooni and it suits my needs in a few ways that might not be so easy with a brick oven. Still, I'm thinking there might be a brick oven design that fits my needs. On that note, I'm looking to build something that will serve as a base/work surface for the Ooni for now and will eventually have a brick oven built on it. To reach that goal, I need to design the oven so I can design the base that will hold it. This is where the "fits my needs" comes in.

My needs are simple, I want something that can get to Neapolitan cooking temps, heats quickly using as little wood as possible and takes as little space in my small, suburban yard as possible. Easy, right? As a trade off, residual heat cooking is not important to me at all and i don't need capacity for a crowd so small is OK.
    Friday is pizza night for the wife and I, it's been that way since '84 and we're empty nesters now so it's usually two, 12" pizzas. That's it 2 pizzas a week and no residual heat cooking, not much point preheating for 3 hours or a ton of thermal mass. This should be the Ooni's strong point, fast to heat, minimal fuel, put it away when done, so what's the problem. Well, its winter in NJ and it's tough to get over 650-700° and you need to continuously feed the tiny pieces of wood to keep the temp there. It's also a little small, a 12" pizza fits, but turning it in a 13.5" space is tricky. A little more elbow room would be nice. A bigger portable might be a reasonable option, but I still need a base for it and, if I can build in enough storage space, a portable could be stored inside.
    But I still like the idea of a masonry oven.

Size is the bigger issue, the spot I'd prefer to use would be great for counterspace but it's long and narrow for an oven. It's an unused raised bed, meant for herbs, carrots and radishes but it's been just weeds for a few years. It's 30"x96" I could stretch it out a couple inches, but it's at the corner of the patio and more than a couple inches might look funny. The 96" sidei is along a walkway, the 30" side is the corner of the patio so a narrow oven would face the patio, a wide shallow one would face the walk. The second spot is smaller, 30"x60"and there's no room at all to expand it, this o e is the herb garden and it's between the deck and the patio. I love to build a structure that would put the oven up at deck height but I don't think I can come up with a design that will fit. The deck and patio are both small enough that steeling space from either would be an issue. I dould drop a 36" square at the end of the patio but that option has other issues and I don't know that a couple inches is worth it, if I can come up with something that fits the other spaces.

Oven style is probably my first question. It looks like a low dome is best for Neapolitan, but I suspect a high dome or a barrel vault/arch should be adequate for my needs. Any suggestions for a space saving design? As I said, I make 12" pizzas, I would like to have the option to make the occasional 16" pie so I need an opening that's a 16" pizza will fit through and enough floor space to turn the pizza and maybe have a space for the fire. Any thoughts on an oblong dome, a little deeper than it is wide so the fire can be pushed to the rear and still leave a somewhat round cooking area? I've seen references to an oblong or egg shaped dome but I haven't found specifics. A barrel vault could easily be designed deeper than it is wide to work with the limited space.

Material choices and wall design will have a big impact. I'd like to end up with an inside width around 22-24", I'd also like to keep the outside dimension to 36"at the most and less would be better. This leaves me with a wall thickness of no more than 7". I know this can be done, the question I have is, how well does it work and how thin can I go. In theory, I need thermal mass to radiate heat, insulation to keep the heat inside and an outer shell to keep the weather out.

Thermal mass will impact both temperature consistency and warm up time. My most important consideration is probably finding the correct amount of thermal mass to meet my needs without going over. This goes for both the floor of the oven and also for the upper structure, but it seems to me that these are 2 separate issues. The pizza stone I've used in the oven offers some mass, but it that were enough, I wouldn't be here. The floor in the Ooni is twice as thick and is definitely better, but there's room for improvement. Since there isn't a limit on vertical space, I could go with the traditional brick floor. Or will that much mass in the floor add too much to my pre-heat time? Castable refractory would be an option as well if it would be better to go with something with less mass, or smaller bricks, i see there are bricks that are 9"x4.5"x1.25" this might be the happy medium between a pizza stone and full sized bricks. Has anyone used these? How does the floor impact preheating time? Am I crazy to be exploring these options? Is my goal of exchanging faster pre-heat for heat retention even possible? The next step is the mass in the walls/roof traditional designs use a ton of it, literally, in some cases. This is where the retained heat comes from but I don't need that. I have seen a couple designs that don't use it, I have no idea how well they work but I'm intrigued. The one that caught my eye was one that used a ball for a mold and covered it in vermiculite/concrete. Last I checked this mix is used for insulation and can be a fairly strong, lightweight concrete, but I wouldn't expect to be a good thermal mass. I think the goal here is to just keep the heat inside without storing it. This actually sounds perfect for me, if it works. Any input on this one? Has anyone here tried it? Is it ok to use this directly exposed to the inside of the oven or does it need a lining? Beyond that, there's castable, bricks of various thicknesses, and maybe others options. I'd be interested to hear opinions and ideas that might allow me to create a dome or barrel that could be created with a total wall thickness of 6" or less that would meet my needs of supporting a high temperature baking environment for short term use while not requiring an extended pre-heat.

I think I'm trying to create a masonry oven that has a lot in common with a portable. For now, I just want to build the base, but I'd like to put an oven on it in the future and I don't want to build the base twice or redesign the patio to do it. Sorry for the long post, I wanted to include plenty of detail.

Welcome Dave! From your space description, a cast oven that uses split fire bricks for the cooking floor would seem your best option. david s is our casting expert & his oven/kiln has a 21" internal diameter. With that oven he has done pretty large pizza parties & many other baked items including bread & chicken. With a 2" thick cast oven & 2-4" insulation/outside render you'd be looking at an oven in about the same range as his (on the smaller side of about ). You will need to consider some wood storage area as well. I'd also suggest getting away from the 12-16" pies for "tight spaces". Many of us simply make smaller pies for ourselves & guests...smaller means easier to make, work, & serve with a bonus of experiencing several different flavor/topping combos at pizza time.

As to your base, stacking blocks (concrete, readily available) and a temporary plywood with cement board top would let you use the space with your Ooni. Unless you build a mini-shelter, you're kinda stuck with the lower temps doing outside pizza in the NJ winter. Making the smaller size/less loaded pizza may even help with that. Anyway, lots of options and check out David S & his oven. No rush, take your time looking at the builds on site...and once again, welcome!
    Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
    Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
    Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
    Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you, your input is appreciated. I'll look for David S's oven, it sounds like it may be what I'm looking for and a casting expert is certainly so done I should be taking my cues from. An oven with 2" cast, 2" insulation and 1"render could put my 22" goal on a 32" base so I'm probably not crazy. I just need to figure out if that combination would meet my goals for preheat time, etc.
      My concern with the the winter weather here isn't so much about my comfort, it was more about the trouble I'm having getting a portable oven with minimal insulation and thermal mass up to proper temperatures. The tripod legs certainly aren't helping and the small fire box requires 2 or 3 miniature logs every 2 or 3 minuted so fire size fluctuates quickly. Wood storage shouldn't be an issue, the path along the 8' side of the one area goes to my fireplace wood storage. I'll probably include some sort of storage in the base anyway, it's a logical use of the space.
      I'd be happy to take the base to the point of pouring the upper slab, that's why I'm already thinking about the oven, I want to get the slab right.

Comment

I thought I'd give an update since I've made a few small steps.
        A site has been selected. I brought my wife out to discuss the 3 spots I'd been considering and she threw me a curve. She just said "what about there?" She pointed to a spot that's also at the foot of the deck, similar to the 30"x60" spot but it's on the other side of the stairs. This spot is 30"x44" but has a couple advantages. First, it's outside the main traffic area in a corner of the patio so it isn't out of the question to pull up a row or two of pavers to get a little more depth. Second, the gas grill sits above it on the deck so it could serve as a screen and block the view of the side of the grill. The only downside is that there are pressure treated 4x4s in the 2 back corners that are planted in concrete and support the railing on that side of the deck. I have some ideas on how to incorporate these into the design.
        I'm leaning towards doing something similar to the Giardino60 but as a 2 piece casting with the dome and gallery being separate pieces. The Guardian60 specifies a base with a minimum width of 38" and no less than 36" deep, I can exceed these by a couple inches. This oven has a wall thickness of 1.5", this sounds ideally as I'm more interested in quick pre-heat than I am in residual heat cooking. I'm considering a house style enclosure.
        I'm now working on the details of the base. As above, there are 2 pressure treated posts in the back corners, I've thought about incorporating these and building the rest of the base out of 4x4 with a block wall up the center for added support. I have a bunch of 16x8x4 hollow block from another project and I'm thinking a 22 to 24 inch dome with a 1.5 inch thickness will be much lighter than a traditional build so the narrower blocks, or even 4x4, should be more than adequate. I have a 90 gallon aquarium that's supported by 3/4" plywood, I doubt the oven would be any heavier.
        Last edited by Dave TBG; 02-22-2022, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Dave.
          A photo or two may make it easier to understand the area you're talking about.

Kind regards,
          Mark
          My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
          My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Thank you for the input but, for now, I'm afraid it would just look like a couple dozen square feet of mud, I'll put up a picture once the form is in place.

Comment

The form is mostly in place, just waiting for concrete mixing weather. I hope this will help clarify things a bit, it includes the edge of the deck and the 4x4s for the new railings. The form is 40" wide and from the front edge of the proposed slab to the 4x4s it is 32" deep. The front of the upper slab will overhang the base by 3" and I will probably extend the back of the upper slab between the 4x4s. I havent decided yet if the lower slab will also extend back between the 4x4s, I do want to join it to the footings as much as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave TBG View Post
                I'm leaning towards doing something similar to the Giardino60 but as a 2 piece casting with the dome and gallery being separate pieces. The Guardian60 specifies a base with a minimum width of 38" and no less than 36" deep, I can exceed these by a couple inches
                Hi Dave,
                Lots of questions there mate, I'll try to help out.
                The Giardino60 size & style should suit you just fine but it looks to me like the oven drawing are incorrect. The Giardino60 is a 24" oven with a 1.5" casting and 3" of insulation which amounts to an OD of 34" including the outer render layer. The oven is deeper than it is wide so 38" deep sounds more appropriate.

You only want to cook a few pizza at a time then thermal mass is not a major requirement, as you suggested, many ovens have been built with a vermiculite or perlite cement mix and will do a great wood fired pizza. BUT their best attribute would be they are very cheap to build and hence the popularity.

If you want something small that will last and perform better then I think a cast oven will be ideal. If you are interested in building your own then I would suggest the following,

2" cast dome with either castable refactory or home made mix depending on your budget. (1.5" is really only suitable if you are doing a full mold cast)

Add 3" of blanket insulation + 0.5" acrylic render. (If building an enclosure then 2" of blanket and backfill with vermiculite no external render required)

Use a 2" floor tile or brick with 2 to 3" of CalSil board insulation.

That will give you an outside total width of 35" with minimal thermal mass and should have your oven up to temp in one hour probably less.

Comment

Working...
                X