No announcement yet.

Getting Started on a Premio2G 100G Installation -- Ned a little help - Counter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Started on a Premio2G 100G Installation -- Ned a little help - Counter

Hi --

I am getting ready to start the construction of my oven stand (cement block with cement top) and I have read a lot in the forum about keeopign the insulation dry attaching the chicken wire etc. But I am still unsure as to how to proceed.

If I construct the concrete slab that the oven sits on I am seeing the following --

Elevate the silca board off the concrete using tiles to allow drainage to weep holes in the slab.

But what I don't understand is how to attach the chicken wire -- Do I screw it into the slab? Or Lay it on top of the insulating board and under the firebrick and wrap it up the side?

II I understand things right when the oven is built on the slab there will be an area around the perimeter of the slab up to the oven that will need to be finished to a counter. How do people finish this? Would a concrete counter top be acceptable or is there a better alternative?

My plan is for the oven to be uncovered and I will apply stucco and tile for waterproofing. But given what I read about keeping the insulation on the floor dry how does one accomplish that?

Appreciate the patience with the newbie.

Bill

I put a couple of masonry screws in the hearth (slab) one each in the corners where the door meets the dome. I used a washer to give it a better grip. I have a hammer drill, but you could probably do it with a regular drill.
    Last edited by hillscp; 02-06-2022, 03:20 PM.

Comment

If I were installing an igloo style out in the open on top of a square hearth stand, I would elevate it up off the hearth slab with 2" thick paver blocks or something similar. I would cut the pavers perimeter to fit the finished foot print of the oven. Wire mesh or chicken wire can be attached to the pavers. I would place ceramic tiles on top of the pavers to support the board insulation and to keep the blanket insulation from touching the pavers. That will keep every thing high and dry.

The drainage holes can be formed into the hearth slab and then later drilled through the pavers before placing the board insulation.

Sealing an oven's stucco or render to surrounding counters is no biggie as long as any water that does intrude can't get up to the insulation.

Another problem with igloos out in the open is water intrusion from rain through the entry. When forming the face brick or stucco on the outer arch, make sure you include a recess to include a storm door.

Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Wgrichmond2480 View Post
        Hi --

II I understand things right when the oven is built on the slab there will be an area around the perimeter of the slab up to the oven that will need to be finished to a counter. How do people finish this? Would a concrete counter top be acceptable or is there a better alternative?

My plan is for the oven to be uncovered and I will apply stucco and tile for waterproofing. But given what I read about keeping the insulation on the floor dry how does one accomplish that?
        Raising the base slab as a countertop is purely your own preferance and you could use any method you wish, usually it's just the front landing that is raised to the cook floor level.

By waterproofing the outer stucco. Tiling is not waterproof, all tiled wet areas should have a waterproof membrane under the tiles. There are many concrete sealers that you could use available at you local hardware or use the professional bathroom products available but they are expensive and possibly overkill. You can also use additives to the stucco mix to increase water resistance. There is will always some moisture getting in so having weep holes under the base and even a vent on the top will help release the moisture when using the oven.

Comment

Working...
        X