Help with hearth and landing size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with hearth and landing size

I am buildiing a Pompei oven INSIDE my kitchen. The constraints of the layout have limited my stand to 41" wide to 36" deep. Can the depth be increased through the use of a cantileavered landing?

I am backing into the dimensions...2.25" deep bricks ( I am in thermal mass school that wants a shorter heat up period), 3" insulation and .5" fireproof backer board. Based upon these numbers I am looking at an oven hearth of about 28". How do I design the opening height/ width- use the 67% of oven height rule? How does one design the landing area? exactyl over the slab? or use cantileaver to extend it a bit?

Rebar- I have peices longer than necessary for the support matrix. Can I just bend the peices instead of cutting them and wire them together?

Any photos of this stage of the project?

THANKS

Re: Help with hearth and landing size

Originally posted by 130mountainside View Post
    Can the depth be increased through the use of a cantileavered landing?...you can cantilever part of the landing without much trouble
    How do I design the opening height/ width- use the 67% of oven height rule?...door height should be about 63% of interior dome height...as far as width I think most ovens are 16 to 18 inches...I guess about equal to the radius of your oven dome might be a good estimate...then round up

Rebar- I have peices longer than necessary for the support matrix. Can I just bend the peices instead of cutting them and wire them together?...I wouldn't see any reason why you couldn't

THANKS...no problem at all
    Best
    Dutch
    Last edited by Dutchoven; 06-21-2008, 07:41 PM.
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Re: Help with hearth and landing size

Originally posted by 130mountainside View Post
      I am buildiing a Pompei oven INSIDE my kitchen. The constraints of the layout have limited my stand to 41" wide to 36" deep. Can the depth be increased through the use of a cantileavered landing?
      Yes, check out Ken's thread or mine.

I am backing into the dimensions...2.25" deep bricks ( I am in thermal mass school that wants a shorter heat up period), 3" insulation and .5" fireproof backer board. Based upon these numbers I am looking at an oven hearth of about 28". How do I design the opening height/ width- use the 67% of oven height rule? How does one design the landing area? exactyl over the slab? or use cantileaver to extend it a bit?
      Hire a professional

Rebar- I have peices longer than necessary for the support matrix. Can I just bend the peices instead of cutting them and wire them together?
      Just bend em.

Any photos of this stage of the project?
      Plenty of photos here.... just look through them

THANKS
      You're welcome.

Dave
      My thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
      My costs:
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
      My pics:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Working...