Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using CNC'd Marble/Granite for Front Facade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using CNC'd Marble/Granite for Front Facade?

I'm to the point in my 32" cast build where I need a front façade. I was considering doing a 1.5"-2" glass aggregate/polished concrete cast. Time has gotten a lot more sparse, and I'm exploring other "easier"/quicker options.

As an alternative, I see around my area there are a lot of stone/counter fabricator companies that have 3cm/1.2" thick marble/quarts/granite remnants for fairly cheap. Many can actually work from an exact CAD plans, so I had the idea to send over the profile of my front façade with the hemisphere-like opening cut out from it. I would oversize a bit so there is 3-4+" on each side of the opening.

I have a very deep gallery which also has a large volume leading up the flue. So there is very minimal smoke that makes it out the front. I'd need to thermal gun it next time I have it fired up to remind myself how hot that front face gets, but I'm guessing with a thermal gap/break (or maybe even a high-temp rope gasket or something) the temperature wouldn't be a concern?

Any inputs on whether this would work?

Neither marble nor granite like heat much and might not be suitable. Those engineered stone tops may not be suitable for that reason, even more so if the facade is thin. I’m not sure about this so get some more advice from manufacturers before proceeding.a small expansion joint is a good idea because the cool facade will not be expanding at the same rate as the inner parts of the oven.
    Last edited by david s; 02-19-2023, 12:22 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
    X