Building a Pompeii Oven - finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building a Pompeii Oven - finally

Thanks Laku, this is the kind if detail I was looking for.
    Eddie
    My Web site

Comment

Yesterday and today I built 2 more courses and was able to cut and mortar the transtion bricks for the 6th course, and I think the final transition required. The plan was to complete and close the oven this weekend, but due to other demands I had to stop (Life comes in the way).
      I might be able to complete the oven next weekend and build the vent arch, we'll see.
      ciao for now

Eddie

My Web site

Comment

I was mostly concerned about the intersection between the arch and the dome, that turned out to be the easiest to do. The Styrofoam form was falling apart on me, and had to scramble for cardboard and other stuff to hold the bricks, hopefully I will be prepared this weekend, must be a cheap or the wrong Styrofoam to buy. That did not happen in my last build, but it was a different kind of Styrofoam.
        Eddie
        My Web site

Comment

What is more practical 1" or 2" reveal?

I had a 2" reveal in my previous build, does it make too much difference?

Thanks

Eddie

My Web site

Comment

Originally posted by efleifel View Post
            The Styrofoam form was falling apart on me,... must be a cheap or the wrong Styrofoam to buy. That did not happen in my last build, but it was a different kind of Styrofoam.
            You're in good company: I'm pretty sure it was cheap Styrofoam that was the downfall of the original city of Pompeii where we all got this idea to build these ovens from in the first place.

I think the 1" reveal is a necessity and any bigger probably becomes a design feature (a pretty nice one) but no added benefit, it might even make you want to build your door bigger (therefore heavier) to fill up the whole reveal space.

Your pics look nice, Eddie. I've showed them to friends wanting to build your size oven. Hope you have a good weekend and get to close up the dome.

-Dino
            Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 11-18-2010, 10:40 AM. Reason: AGREED: a full 1" reveal is perfect
            "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
            http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

I built my reveal into the door, not the oven, but one inch should be adequate either way.

Comment

Thank you Dino and Tscarborough,

One inch it is, cannot disagree with the experts.
                I do not have any faith in the styrofoam anymore, so I will have to rig something up to close the dome.

Cheers

Eddie
                My Web site

Comment

I spent more than 30 minutes looking at the styrofoam, trying to figure out how to rig it. My son suggested spray foam to fill up the area, and then shape it for the dome, but I am worried that the spray foam might stick to the bricks and hardens, then I have a bigger probelm.
                  I think since I have a lot of styrofoam left, the best thing to do at this stage is to enforce the styrofoam with more styrofoam and fill up the gap as much as possible, I only have 2 courses left. This is the safest thing to go
                  Any suggestions, ideas recommendations are welcome.

Salute

Eddie
                  My Web site

Comment

The best way to get rigidity with styrofoam is to make it cellular. That is, cross pieces that are each notched into the other. Stack them and cut them all at once.

Comment

Eddie
                      You can use newspaper to fill it almost to the top then put a 30 - 50 mm of fine sand. Mould that to the desired shape and then there is no major issue of the internal mess. you can even use a layer of oiled plastic over to stop any sticking.
                      Cheers
                      Kris

Comment

Originally posted by efleifel View Post
                        I only have 2 courses left.
                        With only 2 courses left you can pretty much go freehand and not rely on a form to finish the dome.
                        Last edited by fxpose; 11-18-2010, 08:17 PM.
                        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will have to get it done one way or the other.
                          Cheers
                          Eddie

Comment

Today, and although it was raining on and off, I was determined to finish the dome; and guess what; I did, AMA SO HAPPY. It looks good and I was pleased with the final brick aka the keystone.
                            On black Friday the wife and the daughter are going shopping, I will be applying mortar to the inside and out, and on Saturday I will build the vent area.
                            Any ideas or suggestions regarding all the small pieces of firebbrick from the cutting? or should I just throw them out.
                            I was thinking to crush them into small pieces and mix with the heatstop mortar and apply to the outer surface of the dome, what do you guys think?
                            Cheers

Eddie

My Web site

Comment

I crushed some of the smaller pieces of firebrick I had and added them as aggregate to the castable refractory cement when I cast my smoke chamber/vent. I did this because I was more concerned with not having enough refractory cement to fill the entire form. Adding this aggregate made the difference by increasing the volume of the mix.
                              I'm pretty certain you could do the same with your Heatstop mortar.
                              George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Thanks George, I think that is a great idea. As you know the heatstop is expensive, so I can't go wrong with increasing the volume.
                                Cheers

Eddie

Http://www.edware.net/

Comment

Working...
                                X