Firebrick Slabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebrick Slabs

I've been lurking for a while and am getting ready to start my oven. I plan to start clearing and grubbing this weekend.

I found a product on the internet that looks like it would make a great oven floor and I wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with it. I don't think I can post the link, since this is my first post, but it is made by a company called Rumford and it is the first link that comes up when you Google "firebrick slabs". It's a 12"x24"x2" slab and they are $35 each. It looked attractive to me because it would minimize joints on the oven floor that could catch your peel and it is only 2" thick - reducing the thermal mass by 1/2".

Thanks

Lee
    Lee

See my oven thread at : http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...gloo-5702.html

Re: Firebrick Slabs

Heres the link

Firebrick
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
    like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

I have a local provider of the same item ($56/per), what scared me off was the super duty rating and what that might do to the ovens ability to bake evenly. But here is yet another area that I claim no expertise. Would love is someone more knowledgeable would weigh in.

Thanks for the link.
      Jim

Comment

Commercial firebricks are two and a quarter inch thick so they are not that much thinner. I looked at these as a way to bridge the door gap without arches or metal, but they are silly expensive compared to firebrick (around here nine firebricks cost nine dollars). The super duty ones, by the way, are a Harbison Walker item, and HW has outlets all over the country, so you may not have to pay shipping from the pacific northwest. They call them Refractory Tiles, by the way. Another no-ship option may be your local pottery supply. Most kiln shelves nowadays are round, but they may still stock rectangular ones.

The peel catching? If you lay your bricks on the diagonal, it just doesn't happen.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

hey Lee
          I have not heard of any one having trouble catching the peel on regular fire brick. But, if money is no big deal and you like the look go for it. Laying the floor was the easiest part of the build as it is not mortared. Plus a little thicker brick will hold the heat.
          Take a look at Mutual Material...brick, fire clay etc
          Berryst
          sigpic

Comment

oops sorry Lee I thought you liven in the Pacific Northwest not Florida..ignore Mutual Materials
            Berryst
            sigpic

Comment

Wasn't James going to offer larger floor bricks here on FB? I think I saw such a post, but can't find them.

Comment

Thanks for the replies - think I'm going with the regular firebrick and save a little green.

Lee
                Lee

See my oven thread at : http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...gloo-5702.html

Comment

Working...
                X