Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

Thanks Telehort!!

Glad to meet another builder in the Sacto/Rocklin area!! Your oven looks great!! I'm also incorporating the two lights on the face of my oven, with the addition of a few electrical outlets, for kitchen - blender duties. I can't wait for the weather to clear up so I can continue with my project!

I'll post some pics of the wood deck I'm building right next to the backyard kitchen. I hope everything turns out great!

Let's keep each other posted, Telehort!

aceves

Comment

Aceves,

That's going to be a great looking build - love the layout. Don't wory about the weather, your're going to working in 100 deg + temps before you know it.

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Very nice! Its great to be able to have a complete plan and do it all at once. I found this forum way too late for that. Looking forward to following your build. Keep the pix coming.

Mark

Comment

Awesome! Great start.

And man does that foundation look familiar.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Let me know if I can help.

dusty

Comment

Thanks Mark!

Yes, the oven/kitchen plan had been in the works for quite some time. I figured it would be better to do it all at once than keep adding to it later on. I like your seating area too! And by the way, your build is coming along great! That herringbone section you added turned out great!

aceves
            Last edited by aceves; 02-18-2009, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Dusty,

What made you go with the slate countertops over another style countertops? I'm trying to figure out what style countertops to put on my backyard kitchen and am taking all suggestions. Did you consider concrete or tile? Pros and cons on these other options? Thanks!!

aceves

Comment

Originally posted by aceves View Post
                Dusty,
                What made you go with the slate countertops over another style countertops?
                I had aquired a bunch of them over the years with the idea of doing something with them someday. When countertop time came, I figured that I had better use them - like this must be what I had been saving them for.

I like them but they must not ever be in the sun. They are black and get very hot.

dusty

Comment

That looks great. What size oven are you going to build? I am considering a 40 or 42 inch oven with a corner install but i am still uncertain of the exact block dimensions.

Comment

What are the exterior dimensions of your block walls for the hearth slab?

Comment

I am considering a similar install. What will your oven diameter be and what dimensions did you use for the block wall for the hearth slab? Thanks

Comment

Hi mjseaner,

My foundation slab (at the very bottom) for the oven measures 82 x 82 inches. The actual block wall where the hearth slab will be poured measures 70 x 70 inches. My oven will measure 42 inches in diameter. Because it's a corner install, the hearth slab opening, where the landing will go, measures 38 inches.

The countertop and seating areas to the sides are much longer of course (I cannot recall those dimensions at the moment).

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask any more questions. We're here to help, and the forum members have helped me plenty already!!!

Let us know when you start your build, and post pics!!

aceves

Comment

UPDATE!!!

I have poured my hearth!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!! Now I wait for the hearth to dry a bit before I start with my Pompeii dome!! I've decided to go with FB board for the insulation below the oven floor instead of vermicrete. Reasons: convenience; time; cost; and forum members' responses re: reasons for FB board v. vermicrete.

I will post pics of the hearth pour before and after as soon as I get back to CA. My family and I are currently visiting DC.

Take care and talk to you soon. I CAN'T WAIT TO START ON MY DOME!!!

aceves

Comment

Hooray! Your dome will be done before you know it! The next part is the really fun part, as you see it all come together and become an oven.

Enjoy your visit to DC, but be aware that we're all waiting for pictures!
                            Nikki

Comment

Dear FB members!!

As promised, here are the pics of my hearth pour. It is almost fully cured, but I'm going to leave the plywood and 2x4 posts underneath as reinforcement for a month!! I know it's not necessary to leave them in that long, but then again, they don't bother me in my build, so what the hey.

Here are the forms and rebar in place. Please note, it does not look pretty, but then again, I used ALL of my recycled/reclaimed wood to make the forms and did not have to buy any new wood. Nice!!

As you might have noticed in the pictures, I actually formed an inner square compartment underneath the pour with extra blocks I had. The reasons: I did not want a huge open space for storage; I plan to build a metal slider rack for my wood (to make access to firewood easier: just pull it out!!), so making a square compartment the size of the storage opening would help; and I wanted extra reinforcement/strength/footings for the hearth and dome. I just experimented with this design; it is not called for in the Pompeii plans. I'll let you know if it really works.

This design left me with three triangle spaces to either fill or leave with a void. I decided to fill them with concrete. This was accomplished with extra concrete that my brother, L.A., gave me for free, so it ultimately did not cost me anything to come up with this design. Overall I'm very happy with storage design and extra strength.

aceves
                              Last edited by aceves; 04-01-2009, 09:06 PM.

Comment

These are the pics of the completed pour, still wet. It took exactly 33 bags of 60 lbs concrete. And BELIEVE me, it was WAY easy with the used mixer I had previously bought. This machine is SO WORTH IT!! No more back-breaking labor!!! Note to new builders, if you can get a hold of a used concrete mixer at craigslist, a local builder, or elsewhere, GET IT!! It will make life so much easier!!

aceves

Comment

Working...
                                X