Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • aceves
    replied
    Re: Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

    Wow, talk about super-fast service!

    I placed my FB order for FB Board around 1:50 pm and received an e-mail confirmation from FB that my order had shipped at 2:50 pm that same day. This is excellent service!! Getting my materials fast will definitely help me get started on my dome asap!

    Thank you so much FB!!! You guys are awesome!! I'll be ordering some FB Insulating Blanket soon, so be on the lookout for my order!

    aceves

    Leave a comment:


  • aceves
    replied
    Re: Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

    And here's a pic of the used swingset all stained up, refinished, and re-built. Did I mention that it cost me $150 on CL? Add $40 for stain and spraypaint, and the whole set was $190!! Not bad!!! Should give my daughter and son a few good years of play.

    More WFO build pics to follow!!!

    aceves

    Leave a comment:


  • aceves
    replied
    Re: Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

    Hi FB builders!!

    I apologize for the long wait in posting my progress. Truth is I have been working on my WFO VERY SLOWLY due to life happening and me working on other build projects. Since my last posting, this is what I've done:

    1. Complete kitchen remodel (torn down to studs and rebuilt with new appliances and cabinets from IKEA)
    2. Wired the entire house with speaker wire for ceiling speakers.
    3. New staircase leading up to the second floor.
    4. Completed railing on our 2-level deck (currently staining the deck).
    5. Started on my man-cave in the garage (added insulation, drywall, texture, speaker wire, TV cables, and the old cabinets from our kitchen remodel - painted in black!!).
    6. Bought a used huge wooden swingset with 2-level castle, swings, slide, monkey bars and rock-climbing wall. Tore it apart, re-stained it, repainted all metal braces and handles, and re-built it in our backyard. All for my little ones to use this summer.
    7. Poured the rest of my concrete countertops for my outdoor kitchen and started the fire-pit.

    AND NOW: back to my WFO dome!!!!! I will be getting my firebricks this weekend, and I just placed an order for my FB Insulating Boards. I plan on start cutting bricks and building my dome in two weeks!!

    In the meantime, here are a few pics of my projects: the deck that I'm staining, the fire-pit, and the countertop with an opening for an outdoor sink.

    More posts and pics coming soon!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Modthyrth
    replied
    Re: Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

    Congratulations! I'm impressed that you've managed to get anything done lately. Mine is 10 months old now, and I haven't done a *thing* since before she was born!

    We need pictures of both of your remarkable accomplishments. ;-)

    Leave a comment:


  • aceves
    replied
    Re: Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

    Hi FB Members!

    Well, after a looooong hiatus, I'm back! Life has been happening, and I've had to put my WFO build on hold, but now I'm back on track.

    Since my last post, I've completed nearly 90% of my wood deck next to my oven (picture of the deck coming soon), I've poured concrete countertops on both sides of my oven, and I've started applying stucco to the bottom part of the countertops and back side of the oven. Pics of the updated WFO build coming soon too!

    Oh, and another important reason why everything was put on hold: My wife and I had another baby! He's 1.5 months old, and getting bigger by the minute! My 3-year-old daughter loves him to death, and we are all VERY happy and fortunate to have him in our lives! My girl and boy will be my WFO apprentices when we start the pizza parties this year! And next! And the year after that! And so on!

    I promise to add pics, and I welcome any comments, suggestions and criticisms from all you FB members. You guys are awesome and have given me tons of ideas for my build. I have a few ideas up my sleeve, and I hope they work!

    Next up, finish stuccoing the bottom part of the counters and of course, THE DOME BUILD!!!

    I can't wait!! Sure glad to be back on FB!!! A big "HI" to all you members and friends on the FB Forum!!

    aceves

    Leave a comment:


  • aceves
    replied
    Re: Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

    Thanks Christo!!

    I've been following your build and it looks amazing. All your custom concrete work makes your build that much more unique! I'll definitely be seeking your advice in the near future. Thanks!

    aceves
    Last edited by aceves; 04-03-2009, 12:42 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • christo
    replied
    Re: Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

    funny how complicated things look while the forms are going up and how much more simple it is after the pour is done and the forms are gone.

    Looks like you've got a great stand! You will be glad you have the electrical!

    It's kinda like a roller coaster - and I think the most fun hill is just around the corner for you! Enjloy it!

    Christo

    Leave a comment:


  • aceves
    replied
    Re: Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

    Thanks James!!

    I greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions!! I'll let you know how the slider rack works. Just an idea right now, but I know I can make it work.

    And as for being sore, yeah, pretty sore. But not as sore as I would have been had I mixed all that concrete by hand (wheelbarrow & shovel method!!). Much respect to all the builders/members who have mixed their concrete that way in their builds. My mixer is a workhorse; I'll be using it for a few more projects around the property.

    James, be expecting an order from me soon, because I want to get started on that dome asap!!!

    aceves
    Last edited by aceves; 04-04-2009, 12:06 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • james
    replied
    Re: Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

    Very, very nice Aceves,

    I'm looking forward to seeing the sliding wood storage and how well that works.

    Are you feeling pretty sore? How are those muscles? :-)

    James

    Leave a comment:


  • aceves
    replied
    Re: Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

    Thanks Modthyrth!!!

    Your build is looking great!! I'm avidly looking at your pics on the rock veneer progress, as I plan to add rock to my oven as well!! Keep up the good work!! And I hope you health and pregnancy continues in perfect harmony!! Best wishes from my family to yours!

    aceves

    Leave a comment:


  • aceves
    replied
    Re: Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

    And here is the reason for my long delay on continuing with my build from Sept 2008 to Feb 2009!! I'm also building a wood deck right next to my oven build!!

    This is how it stands right now, but please be patient, this is a work in progress. Again, it does not look pretty right now, but it will look awesome once it's done (hopefully this summer!!). The urgency with this build was that there was a gaping hole in the concrete right as you step out of the doors to the back yard, and as my wife and I have a 2 year-old daughter, safety came first, and the oven was put on hold. But now the deck is safe, and my daughter loves walking and playing on it. And by the way, we used to have a glass sliding door back there; I put in the french doors as well!!

    I'll include some deck pictures every once in a while so you see the progress and the finished product. Thanks for looking!!

    aceves
    Last edited by aceves; 04-01-2009, 09:15 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • aceves
    replied
    Re: Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

    Here are the pics of the hearth with the forms removed. It's looking good!! I can't wait to start building the dome!!!

    As you can see in the pics, I made a 3 inch overhang at the front of the hearth. I simply didn't want to make the hearth flush with the angle iron/block panel at the front. This gave me just a little overhang to play around with (either cover in stucco, rock, or brick).

    And the conduit you see on top of the hearth is for my electrical. I plan to install two lights at the top of the oven and a couple of outlets for any appliances I might need to place on my countertops. More on that later.

    The last picture is the oven from the backside. I plan to cover it with rock that my brother L.A. gave me for free. He's been a great help in this build I trully appreciate his assistance and materials!!

    That's the hearth pour!! Many thanks to R.O. for helping with the pour! I'll keep you all updated as I move along!!

    aceves
    Last edited by aceves; 04-01-2009, 09:14 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • aceves
    replied
    Re: Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

    These are the pics of the completed pour, still wet. It took exactly 33 bags of 60 lbs concrete. And BELIEVE me, it was WAY easy with the used mixer I had previously bought. This machine is SO WORTH IT!! No more back-breaking labor!!! Note to new builders, if you can get a hold of a used concrete mixer at craigslist, a local builder, or elsewhere, GET IT!! It will make life so much easier!!

    aceves

    Leave a comment:


  • aceves
    replied
    Re: Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

    Dear FB members!!

    As promised, here are the pics of my hearth pour. It is almost fully cured, but I'm going to leave the plywood and 2x4 posts underneath as reinforcement for a month!! I know it's not necessary to leave them in that long, but then again, they don't bother me in my build, so what the hey.

    Here are the forms and rebar in place. Please note, it does not look pretty, but then again, I used ALL of my recycled/reclaimed wood to make the forms and did not have to buy any new wood. Nice!!

    As you might have noticed in the pictures, I actually formed an inner square compartment underneath the pour with extra blocks I had. The reasons: I did not want a huge open space for storage; I plan to build a metal slider rack for my wood (to make access to firewood easier: just pull it out!!), so making a square compartment the size of the storage opening would help; and I wanted extra reinforcement/strength/footings for the hearth and dome. I just experimented with this design; it is not called for in the Pompeii plans. I'll let you know if it really works.

    This design left me with three triangle spaces to either fill or leave with a void. I decided to fill them with concrete. This was accomplished with extra concrete that my brother, L.A., gave me for free, so it ultimately did not cost me anything to come up with this design. Overall I'm very happy with storage design and extra strength.

    aceves
    Last edited by aceves; 04-01-2009, 09:06 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Modthyrth
    replied
    Re: Corner Install with Kitchen/Prep Area

    Hooray! Your dome will be done before you know it! The next part is the really fun part, as you see it all come together and become an oven.

    Enjoy your visit to DC, but be aware that we're all waiting for pictures!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X