HELP - Heat Stop 50 cement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP - Heat Stop 50 cement?

I have been using HeatStop 50 refractory mortar for my dome. I used two bags, both brown. The third bag I just ordered in is white, and states HeatStop 50 refractory cement (rather than refactory mortar). The dealer told me it's the same, that heatstop 50 is all one product, just an older bag. Is this the case?
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Re: HELP - Heat Stop 50 cement?

Never used Heatstop but you can sometimes differentiate between masonry cement and portland cement by color (masonry is typically lighter) and fineness (masonry is always finer). Compare the two and see how they match up.

Comment

Good question (I don't have the answer).

I had a similar experience with HeatStop50. I used 3 bags, all had identical labels. The dry powder in all bags looked the same. After mixing, the mortar from one of the bags was much "grittier"; like it had a courser sand in it. I laid a few bricks with it and it set up fine so I pressed on.

I think the folks at HeatStop may be having quality control issues. I've never experienced that kind of inconsistency with other bagged masonry products (like Sakrete or Quikrete).

Don't take the dealer's word for it. Find the number for the HeatStop factory and call them directly.
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Thanks for the help. This stuff costs a fortune, though. I'm not opening the bag unless I'm sure it's the right stuff.
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Not sure if Heastop uses valve bags or not, if so it will be on the top left or right side of the bag. Lay the bag flat and stick a long handled spoon through the valve (manufactured hole where the bag is filled). If no valve is present, I agree, don't open it.
          Last edited by Mojoe; 10-02-2008, 07:18 AM. Reason: clearification

Comment

According to the Rumford website:
            Q. What are the Heat Stop product types?
            A. There are only two as follows:
            1. Heat Stop in a 1 gallon (15 lb.) pail or a 3 gallon (50 lb.) pail. Premixed and ready to use.
            2. Heat Stop-II in a 1 gallon (10 lb.) pail and Heat Stop-50 in a 50 lb. bag. Same producte but different size container. Add water, mix and ready to use.

You might wan to call Rumford at (360) 385-9974 or Superior Clay at 1-800-848-6166.
            Picasa web album
            Oven-building thread

Comment

My heatstop 50 came in a white bag- I think it had been on the lot a while. There were only a few bags left. It worked fine.
              Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Thanks for all of the info. For what ever it's worth, I called CMS industries, the company that makes Heat stop. I actually spoke with Bob Rucker, the President. Nice guy.

He explained the products were likely produced in different facilities, hence the different packaging. He assured me that "for the most part" they would be the same product, and that either one would be "good enough" for my needs. Not terribly satisfying. I couldn't pin him down any further. Nonetheless, I moved on and opened the bag. It seems just fine. It seemed to require less water to achieve the same consistency, although this was not based on a side-to-side comparison, but rather recall of the other bags. Could be because it is cold out today. Either way, it looks and held up just the same.

Onward!
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
                  He explained the products were likely produced in different facilities, hence the different packaging. He assured me that "for the most part" they would be the same product
                  Ahhh... That explains why I had slightly different consistency with my two orders. Thanks for sharing!
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Working...
                  X