new oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new oven build

hope this will work for templet never worked with bricks and morterClick image for larger version

Name:	brick oven 001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	508.8 KB
ID:	313491

Re: new oven build

Click image for larger version

Name:	brick oven 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	508.2 KB
ID:	272634 another shot 10 bags of concrete for harth

Comment

That should work fine!
      Is that a video screen in the background for summer movie nights? Cool!
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Yes it is and the dome is made out of the same material sighn board

Comment

Sumu,

Looks good. A suggestion if I may...

When building you really need to get "inside" the oven to keep an eye on your joints and to keeps things lined up. I actually "sat/kneeled" inside of my oven for the first 4 courses - until my "butt" got to big

You really don't need any support for the first 5-6 rows. At some point you might add support or come up with other ways to hold the bricks up. At a minimum I would just go with the Styrofoam forms on the inside and not rely on the duct tape. That way you can "rotate" the styrofoam as you build the courses. Don't worry - you can do it. I never worked with mortar/brick before either. AND it looks like you off to a great start.

The top dome is a tricky part. I used a "sand" form to support my top dome and wasn't too happy with the results. Mainly because I couldn't get to the inside and A lot of the mortar "oozed" out onto the brick work.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks
          Dick
          aka thebadger

Comment

I'm with the badger...either use the foamboard as a movable form or check out the "fancy string alignment system" posts or use both...I think Elizabeth did...I used a sand form for top area of the dome and also was not pleased...you can manipulate the mortar a bit there by using drier bricks near the top...it will bond to the mortar a bit quicker and you can still feel the joints and their alignment to the course below...have no fear...it is a bit forgiving...not like building a piano
            Best
            Dutch
            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

I used the string alignment system, the z-clip and string system, and, after I got tired of that (you need more clips and strings as your hole gets smaller, because you move around the hole faster!) I used sticks to prop up the bricks. I agree that a little drier on the brick sets up faster, and by the time you get to that stage, you'll have a pretty good feel for dry vs. wet. And you'll have mastered the fine art of reaching under the edge to feel how the brick you just set relates to the ones under it!

I'd never laid any kind of brick whatsoever before I built my oven, and it's turned out ok- I think most of us are learning as we go.
              Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Personally, I like the lion! I am trying to figure out how to incorporate a couple of Gargoyles in my plans!

But from what I have seen on the forum studying everybody's builds, I think a sand form or a semi solid form as you have is probably not what you want, given that you have no access to the inside to see how what you are doing effects the most important part of the dome, the inside. Not to mention, again, that you can't clean mortar off of the inside till it is all done. I saw a single piece of plywood guide/form today here somewhere, that swings on a pin, that looks like a very good solution. I am sorry, but I can't figure out where that thread is, but it was an excellent build and is here somewhere.

Just my two bits, and I have never built an oven at all, so take it for what it is worth (not much ).

Travis

I found it! It's Mikes "Michigin WFO" thread that is in the Brick Oven Photos section. Have a look at Mikes build!

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...-wfo-4832.html
                TravisNTexas

Comment

Personally, I like the lion! I am trying to figure out how to incorporate a couple of Gargoyles in my plans!

But from what I have seen on the forum studying everybody's builds, I think a sand form or a semi solid form as you have is probably not what you want, given that you have no access to the inside to see how what you are doing effects the most important part of the dome, the inside. Not to mention, again, that you can't clean mortar off of the inside till it is all done. I saw a single piece of plywood guide/form today here somewhere, that swings on a pin, that looks like a very good solution. I am sorry, but I can't figure out where that thread is, but it was an excellent build and is here somewhere.

But a lot of folks have used sand molds, styrofoam, beachballs, etc. with great success, so pick what works best for you.

Just my two bits, and I have never built an oven at all, so take it for what it is worth (not much ).

Travis

I found it! It's Mikes "Michigin WFO" thread that is in the Brick Oven Photos section. Have a look at Mikes build!

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...-wfo-4832.html
                  TravisNTexas

Comment

Sorry for the double post. I am new here!

Even worse that I added stuff to the first post before I posted it again!
                    Last edited by staestc; 10-16-2008, 03:41 PM. Reason: Additional Information
                    TravisNTexas

Comment

I think a couple of us used the BS - you can see a picture on my first page.

Les...
                      Check out my pictures here:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

One more thing to look at, if I may, is what Hendo was doing to gauge his dome ->> http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/28/h...ea-2573-2.html

That too, was just a wonderful idea, and if you have not seen that thread yet it is worth going though!

Good luck,
                        Travis
                        TravisNTexas

Comment

do you thik you can put insulation board down {pink} then the FB blanket then the floor

Comment

Travis, thanks for the comments about the board system. The credit for the board system goes to Les. I stole that, as well as many other ideas, from his build. I found it worked very well, from bottom to top, to not only keep the dome round, but also helped briefly support the brick I was working on until the mortar set up.
                            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                            My oven build thread

Comment

do you think you can put insulation board down {pink} then the FB blanket then the floor
                              No on both counts. The pink foam insulation board is not rated for hot environments, and will give off weird smells if it gets even a little bit hot.

The FB (or equivalent) blanket does not go under the oven. It will compress and force out the air, loosing it's insulation value, and your oven will sag and crack. You need 4" of vermiculite concrete, or two inches of rigid refractory board insulation.
                              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                              X