Hybrid Gas/Wood Oven.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid Gas/Wood Oven.

Hello, I am a newbie to this forum was hoping to get some feedback on a gas/wood hybrid outdoor pizza oven. I have filed the necessary paperwork with the war department and have received the green light from the wife for my outdoor pizza oven. Utopia!

I love the traditional wood fired oven but I am thinking I would like a gas/wood hybrid. I am hoping to get some thoughts on this type of system. Does anyone have one? Pros/cons? Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks, John
    Henniker NH

Re: Hybrid Gas/Wood Oven.

Gas in home pizza ovens is officially discouraged. Unlike an open barbeque, gas can accumulate in the closed dome and explode on ignition.

Gas fired commercial pizza ovens have elaborate and expensive safety systems, and are used by professionals in a commercial kitchen. A back yard with kids running around is a different picture.

There's also the small matter of efficiency. Firewood is BTU rich, and is ideal for the occasional firing of a small oven. Gas is good for keeping an already hot oven up to speed, but not so much for firing from cold.

Some members have used gas weed burners to get their ovens going, but in this case, both the propane tank and the burner are stored well away from the oven when not in use.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Here's one way you could do it in a safe, UL approved manner:
      Modena120G 47" Gas, Gas/Wood Pizza Oven :: Commercial Pizza Ovens :: Forno Bravo Store

But I have a hard time seeing one of these in a back patio (and then there's the cost!).
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by John27 View Post
        Hello, I am a newbie to this forum was hoping to get some feedback on a gas/wood hybrid outdoor pizza oven. I have filed the necessary paperwork with the war department and have received the green light from the wife for my outdoor pizza oven. Utopia!

I love the traditional wood fired oven but I am thinking I would like a gas/wood hybrid. I am hoping to get some thoughts on this type of system. Does anyone have one? Pros/cons? Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks, John
        Henniker NH
        Hi John,
        In Mexico City there is place that sells that kind of ovens, they can combine gas and wood, they use a high pressure gas, they say that is safer that use low pressure, the bad thing is that web page is in Spanish.

Hornos Pizza, Hornos de Le?a, Hornos de Piedra, Pizza, Pan, Pizzer?a

Saludos.

Comment

You will need to fit it with a burner that has a flame failure device and it will be required by law to be fitted by a qualified gas fitter. When I inquired about this I was given a rough figure of $2000. Having an old pottery kiln gas burner I tried fitting one on my first oven. It worked, but I gave up after the second use. If you're going to have a wood fired oven it's better to learn to use wood only in my opinion.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
          X