My turn...finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My turn...finally

Well as many of us do I have been lurking around sucking up as much information as I could before starting my own WFO. I have been a shameless pack rat collecting cinder block from around the college campus I work on; the college kids leave them behind every year and I have collected enough to build my stand. I have been surfing craigslist and have gotten my first 125 firebrick ( brand new ) for a buck apiece and I am in contact with a guy who is taking down a chimney to hopefully secure the rest of my firebrick. The wife has finally approved the placement in "her" yard and I have it staked out. I am going to start digging today as long as the rain holds off. Pictures and more to come soon. Glad to be here....finally

Peter
    Member WFO-AMB=WW

Re: My turn...finally

Congrats, Peter! Sounds like a great way to collect blocks, and nice find on the firebrick.
    Picasa web album
    Oven-building thread

Comment

Congratulations! Start up some pictures showing us the yard and where the oven will be!
      Drake
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I will get some taken later today and get them posted. Thanks for the encouragement

Peter
        Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

one of the best parts of building your own WFO is looking at all the pics as your going and when your done.... i posted mine here and on facebook, so many people, even non builders seem to really enjoy watching the oven preogress....

Comment

Here are a few photos of the intended location...notice the lovely tower of fire brick in the back.
            Last edited by KraemerBAC; 06-17-2009, 05:59 PM.
            Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

A rototiller, an axe, a couple shovels, a wheelbarrow, a friend and 5 hrs...Even in Wisconsin working in the sun is hot thirsty work. We almost have it finished though. On a separate note, I have secured what I hope will be the remainder of my firebrick. I found a guy on craigslist who is taking out a wood stove and he had used dry stacked firebrick for the backing. Approx 80 full bricks and 100 half bricks plus as many red bricks as I can carry for $125 I just need to head to west Chicago and they are mine. I keep getting closer.

Peter
              Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Boy did it rain yesterday and the night before. Now I either need to make sure to tarp the hole or get a pig. What a mess it is going to need a day to dry out and then I can continue on my merry way.
                Last edited by KraemerBAC; 06-22-2009, 01:55 PM. Reason: typo
                Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Turns out the wet hole was a good thing...It seemed to stratify the soil somewhat and layered out the clay that was in the soil so I was able to skim off the topcoat of clay leaving behind a nice gravel/sand soil; mix which will drain well.

Peter
                  Last edited by KraemerBAC; 06-22-2009, 06:55 PM.
                  Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Looking forward to seen you WFO progress. Good Luck!
                    Cheers,

Comment

Well, the hole is dug!!!! Going for gravel and sand on Thursday and I hope to have it framed up and ready for concrete over the weekend. Concrete sometime next week. Look for more photos to come soon.
                      Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Great job. Keep us posted!
                        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                        My oven build thread

Comment

I have made some progress... not as much as I had anticipated. I have roughly 14" of gravel down in the hole and I have ringed it with block. Going to fill the ring with 8" of tamped sand, frame it in add rebar and pour. Hopefully by next week some time. It gets hard trying to balance work kids and a large project such as this.

Peter
                          Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Originally posted by KraemerBAC View Post
                            It gets hard trying to balance work kids and a large project such as this.

Peter
                            I'm right there with you, Peter! Hang in there!
                            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                            My oven build thread

Comment

Thanks Mike...
                              Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Working...
                              X