Weatherproofing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weatherproofing

Quick question as I change plans yet again...if I cover my oven with a layer of vermicrete then stucco, will it keep the water out?

Re: Weatherproofing

You'll probably need to paint it with a masonry or stucco paint. I think you'll be fine keeping the water out. The one thing I did last year is I left my oven exposed all winter (in Ohio). I don't think I"ll do that again this year. I think the freeze thaw cycles are hard on the exposed masonry portions of my oven..

Dick

Comment

I will be putting on a multi layer stain then seal. Where did you get your stucco here in Houston?

Comment

Dick, which masonry parts are you concerned about? The cultured stone face? counter? firebrick? decorative arch? I live a few hundred miles north of you. I was planning the oven to be winter proof. I really don't want to cover it every winter (plus, I plan to use it in the winter, too!)
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Cypress View Post
          I will be putting on a multi layer stain then seal. Where did you get your stucco here in Houston?
          I got the base stucco from Home Depot in one of their broken bag pallets. Planned on using it since I had it - no experience with stucco, though. I was planning on building up the sides and dome with formed vermicrete using mesh for support. Then apply the base stucco on the porous vermicrete surface. Would that work or would I have to affix some diamond mesh?

Comment

No stucco, even acrylic stucco is water proof. Acrylic stucco is "water resistant". This is fine for light rain.

During the rainy season (October to May here on Vancouver island) I cover mine with a sheet of plastic when not in use.

Comment

How about an underlayment of heavy plastic between two layers of dome covering (cement, vermicrete or stucco)?

Comment

Working...
              X