• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil2
    replied
    Re: Measuring your Hearth

"no more that 60% of the dome height"

The "magic number" is 63%. No more, no less.

Leave a comment:

• eatingmorefood
    replied

Ok,
    Now I need to know how to get the thread started !
    thank you,
    EatingMoreFood

Leave a comment:

• eatingmorefood
    replied

Hi all,
    Here is the slab with concrete blocks, lots of rebar and crushed stone topped with 5 in concrete hearth to date. I added 20% extra crushed rock and sand to the mix. All wood and rebar was recycled, donated by local construction sites. The HD tie down strap really helped keep frame together nicely.
    Left the heavy strap on for 1 week now. I am told concrete dries and hardens over several months. Any thoughts?
    Still figuring out the picture upload. These are all in my album.
    EatingMoreFood

---
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ish-drying.jpg
    Last edited by eatingmorefood; 10-27-2010, 07:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• eatingmorefood
    replied

Ok,
    I will try this !
    thank you,
    EatingMoreFood

this is a test....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...0-dig-hole.jpg

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

If the picture is uploaded, and you can find it, you can left click on the image, select "copy image location", then in your post you can hit the postcard icon over the box where you type. This brings up a dialog box where you can paste the location (or URL) of your picture, and it will show up right in your post,

Like this.

Leave a comment:

• eatingmorefood
    replied

How do I get my photos to appear in a post. I uploaded build to my album but no idea how to get the thread in the right place. Help !
    EatingMoreFood

Leave a comment:

• Spunkoid
    replied

By chance do you have any pictures of your oven under construction, specifically the door...?
    I will be using refractory mortar and have built a 4" insulating slab on top of the hearth. Once the oven dome is done, I am planning of framing around it and will fill that space with perilite or vermiculite.
    Glad to hear you are cooking... my pizzas are still being done in my BBQ on a big flat stone on the grill.

Leave a comment:

• mulga
    replied

I am about to put on the final waterproof render. When everyone says you need lots of thermal insulation, they are right, you cannot have enough. If possible use refractory motar, I didn't and wish I did now.
    After I finshed the brickwork, the dome stayed intact, I did a waterproof render, but I lost lots of heat. So then I did a 50mm perlite and aluminium cement render, a 25mm (1'') superwool blanket and then a 50mm vermiculite render and are about to finish it off. The pizzas had better tast good.....
    Good luck mate, let us know how it works out.....

Leave a comment:

• Spunkoid
    replied

Hi Mugla,

Did you get any responses? I am building a 1 meter interior oven as well and your door height and width are about what I have been planning as well. How far along are you?

Rick

Leave a comment:

• mulga
    replied

I am new to all of this and have just laid the first course for a 1 metre internal floor oven. I have picked up bits and pieces of info from you guys on-line. I am doing the door 12'' high by 20'' wide with an internal dome height to be about 20'', does that sound about right.I understand the door heigth is to be no more that 60% of the dome height otherwise the fire won't draw properly. I have laid the 1st course bricks normal side down and then laying half bricks on top, it that correct? One of the things that worries me is the construction of the chimney (the oven is outside). Any help would be most appreciated. cheers... Mulga

Leave a comment:

• Balty Knowles
    replied

I can only speak from my own one time experience. I had 2 layers of Insulfrax on the sides but compressed into 3" of space & an extra layer on top as I had it left over. Absolutely no heat transfer through the walls or roof.

Rgds

Balty

Leave a comment:

• beth halstrom
    replied

I'm installing a Premio 100 (39" cooking floor) and am trying to get an exact stand measurement. If I'm using 2 FB blankets for insulation (omitting the vermiculite) would I need to add 10" for insulation using the chart above? Walled enclosure, not igloo style. The smaller the footprint the better.

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied

Originally posted by jahysea View Post
    my oven is a meter or about 39 or 40 inches and have stacked oven dishes on top of each other before....terraced cooking I called it.

Is there a post on relative surface area any where?

Leave a comment:

• Balty Knowles
    replied

I was worried about heat transfer to my outer brickwork as I only had 3" of space around the bottom of the dome. I used 1 blanket of insulfrax around the sides & then tamped down any off cuts to fill the gap. I added a second blanket where I could & then filled the cavity with Vermiculite.

After several hours of the oven at temperature there is absolutely no heat transfer to the outside of the brickwork.

I added another blanket on top because I poured a concrete slab as my roof & was worried about heat transfer from the top. Again there is none after several hours of using the oven.

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

Originally posted by DanaMac View Post
    Hi,

New to all this but building the oven this week. Can I double the insulationg blanket and cut back on the thickness of the vermiculite shell?
    Stongly suggest you do just that. Since I could find both products in Dallas, I found out cost wise it was a push and I think the blanket is better. I've built a 42" Tuscan and 50 sf of blanket will provide half again the thickness. It takes about 2/3rds of a box to cover the WFO, I bought a box of 2" and 1" thinking I would get 3" coverage. I'll almost have 4-5" over it when I'm done.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X