Foundation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foundation question

I'm getting ready to begin installing a Casa110 on my backyard patio. The patio is made of large slabs of stone and the edges are done in brick. I'm planning to orient the oven over one of the corners of the patio so the front half of the oven will be over the patio and the back half will be over the yard.

My question is, do I need to remove the part of the patio on which the oven will sit and pour a slab for the whole structure or can I just add a slab extending out into the yard for the back half of the structure?

Clearly it would be easier to do the latter but the concern is the new slab may separate from the patio and/or the patio structure will not be strong enough for the weight of the oven. Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

Re: Foundation question

Jbuild,
    IMHO having a foundation bisected with such a distinct line of support is simply asking for problems. If it were mine I would cut out the area of the patio stones and then work to get the subsoil there and the area outside the patio the same compaction, then pour a base and start my build.

Hope this helps,
    Wiley

Comment

What he said, for certain.

Comment

I agree. Pour a slab that is separated from your patio. Always expect some settlement, even on well compacted subbase. If the slab is separate, the settlement won't even be noticed. If it is attached or overlapping, there will be cracks.

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate your input.

Comment

It's way too much work to do half right.
            Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Hi jbuildarkansas

The patio is made of large slabs of stone and the edges are done in brick. I'm planning to orient the oven over one of the corners of the patio so the front half of the oven will be over the patio and the back half will be over the yard.
              I would get a diamond saw blade, cut through the stone paving across the front of your proposed oven foundation and then (obviously depending on the thickness of your cement and stone paving) dig my footings to have a reinforced beam foundation and drill into the side of the stone and brick and drive some reinforcing steel rod to tie your new footings to your existing paving. If your paving is fairly thin, then I would dig say 6 to 8 " under your cut edge and make sure that the poured concrete is pushed right in and under to ensure that they not only bond but support your paving. You will also need to wash with water the underside of your paving.

Neill
              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
              Neill’s kitchen underway
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Working...
              X