NH Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is awesome Benny8,
    I am in Western MA and would love to know how well your oven holds residual heat after firing. I.e. is it still hot enough to bake with the day after? How about in the winter?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman View Post
      This is awesome Benny8,
      I am in Western MA and would love to know how well your oven holds residual heat after firing. I.e. is it still hot enough to bake with the day after? How about in the winter?
      Fisherman, I responded in the PM's, but spring summer and fall it will hold enough residual heat to do that. I would make a good insulated door and when you are finished cooking pizza, rake your coals out and close your door. You want to make sure it closes off the oven past your chimney or else all your heat will escape. It holds heat for days.

Comment

I am curious why you rake the coals out before closing off the oven? I leave them in until the next day when ready to do secondary cooking to use up all the heat possible from the wood, typically I find all that is left is ash and much safer to pull out of oven than live coals. I just use an old garden hoe and and a steel dust pan and metal bucket.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
          I am curious why you rake the coals out before closing off the oven? I leave them in until the next day when ready to do secondary cooking to use up all the heat possible from the wood, typically I find all that is left is ash and much safer to pull out of oven than live coals. I just use an old garden hoe and and a steel dust pan and metal bucket.
          I do this if I am going to bake bread or anything else within a couple hours. Definitely leave them in if you want to bake the next day. I have an ash dump that I built into the base opening that drops into a metal pail. Works excellent.

Comment

9 year update- The old pizza oven is still cranking out the pies! I can't say enough about this homebrew refractory recipe. For the total cost of the dome, it was less than $100. This was the sand, portland cement, fireclay and polypropylene fibers. It was really a fun project with family and the smiles that we have created is priceless! We will be hosting our 3rd Pizza Cookoff in August. Its also looking like things may finally line up for me to actually build an oven on a trailer this winter. Being that the price to build a dome is reasonable, I will cast a dome with the homebrew recipe and use the ss needles along with the polypropylene fibers. The plan is to place it on a trailer and see how it holds up on our rough trails(roads) here in NH. Thanks for looking everyone. If your thinking of building an oven, I can attest to this recipe and method.

Comment

Benny, I'm just wondering if you added lime in your mix. Early on you mentioned the 3:1:1:1 mix, which I think refers to sandortland:fire clay: lime. I'm curious because my first build was custom brick work and I'm considering a build for a second location that I'd like to do something simpler... like yoru build which looks great! and has held out well! Also, apparently no aggregate used, just fibers, correct? Thanks! and thanks for updating your story!

Comment

Originally posted by GreenViews View Post
                Benny, I'm just wondering if you added lime in your mix. Early on you mentioned the 3:1:1:1 mix, which I think refers to sandortland:fire clay: lime. I'm curious because my first build was custom brick work and I'm considering a build for a second location that I'd like to do something simpler... like yoru build which looks great! and has held out well! Also, apparently no aggregate used, just fibers, correct? Thanks! and thanks for updating your story!
                I'm sorry, yes lime was used as well. Yes, just polypropylene fibers. Next one will use ss needles as well. Thanks for the kind words. Best of luck with your build.

Comment

Thanks, and also funny but unintended that my colan, then capital P was translated into an emoji. I intended a list of ingredients only without emoji's (that one is intended, if it actually works when intended)

Comment

Working...
                  X