X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• benny8
    replied
    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    I am curious why you rake the coals out before closing off the oven? I leave them in until the next day when ready to do secondary cooking to use up all the heat possible from the wood, typically I find all that is left is ash and much safer to pull out of oven than live coals. I just use an old garden hoe and and a steel dust pan and metal bucket.
    I do this if I am going to bake bread or anything else within a couple hours. Definitely leave them in if you want to bake the next day. I have an ash dump that I built into the base opening that drops into a metal pail. Works excellent.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    I am curious why you rake the coals out before closing off the oven? I leave them in until the next day when ready to do secondary cooking to use up all the heat possible from the wood, typically I find all that is left is ash and much safer to pull out of oven than live coals. I just use an old garden hoe and and a steel dust pan and metal bucket.

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishman View Post
    This is awesome Benny8,
    I am in Western MA and would love to know how well your oven holds residual heat after firing. I.e. is it still hot enough to bake with the day after? How about in the winter?
    Fisherman, I responded in the PM's, but spring summer and fall it will hold enough residual heat to do that. I would make a good insulated door and when you are finished cooking pizza, rake your coals out and close your door. You want to make sure it closes off the oven past your chimney or else all your heat will escape. It holds heat for days.

Leave a comment:

• Fishman
    replied
    This is awesome Benny8,
    I am in Western MA and would love to know how well your oven holds residual heat after firing. I.e. is it still hot enough to bake with the day after? How about in the winter?

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied
    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Thanks for following up. It is a good testament that homebrew dense cast will hold up. We have been seeing a rash of perlite/vermiculitecrete domes lately so this is timely to show how well a correctly built oven performs and "lasts".
    One of the best and most favorite projects I have embarked on.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Thanks for following up. It is a good testament that homebrew dense cast will hold up. We have been seeing a rash of perlite/vermiculitecrete domes lately so this is timely to show how well a correctly built oven performs and "lasts".

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied
    Update-7 years in and ~500 pizzas later, the ol' homebrew $80 dome is like the Energizer Bunny=STILL GOING!

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied
    Update- 6 years in and the homebrew cast dome is still going strong. Best $80 I ever spent.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Excellent, report back in another 4 years.

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied
    UPDATE- It has now been about 4 years and many, many firings. I am happy to report that the Homebrew castable refractory has held up awesome. Not showing any signs of crumbling or break down.

Leave a comment:

• almondsurf
    replied
    Re: NH Oven Build

Thanks for the pictures and feedback. I am casting mine today and enjoyed your posts.

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied
    Re: NH Oven Build-New Pics

Some pics of the finished project-2 yrs later. Sorry

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied
    Re: NH Oven Build-Update

Well, this will be my third summer with the Homebrew castable refractory oven. We have cooked over 200 pizzas in it over the last 2 years. Few hairline cracks, but she is still running strong. Last Memorial Day we hosted our 1st annual Pizza Cookoff. We cooked 64 pizzas in 3.5 hours. It was a blast. This weekend we will be hosting the 2nd Annual Pizza Cookoff with 3 divisions: Traditional, Specialty and Dessert. Thinking about building one to start a mobile wood fired pizza business.

Leave a comment:

• TxTanner
    replied

Your making great progress,you and your daughter should be proud

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied

Wednesday night I was in a panic. I was getting ready to cast the last big piece(oven opening), and I decided I should see if the other pieces would release from the form. I had used vegetable oil for a release agent, and the pieces did not want to release. After about an hour and some cursing, I finally was able to get them to release. Apparently, the form I made was of plaster. I sanded it down and painted a coat or two of Kilz primer on it. The cement acted like a suction on the primer. When it finally released it took the primer off with it. Luckily it peels off the inside of the oven like a skin. Anyway, today I took the day off from work to get some other projects finished around the house. When that was done, I cast the last pieces of the oven. I also picked up my stainless steel pieces for my flue and chimney. Good busy day today.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X