Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NH Oven Build

Two questions,
    How thick did you make the dome and did you use stainless steel needle reinforcing?
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
      Two questions,
      How thick did you make the dome and did you use stainless steel needle reinforcing?
      Dome was about 2" thick and I used polypropylene fibers in the mix.

Comment

Good job. The polypropylene fibres give your refractory a measure of protection from blowing (rapid steam expansion), but they don't provide any additional reinforcing. I didn't use them in my first oven and it still fires ok. Interested to see how your dome performs over time.

Comment

Thanks David. It has been a learning curve, thats for sure. But it has also been fun. Hopefully it holds up well, but if it doesn't I am not out a lot of money.

Comment

Wednesday night I was in a panic. I was getting ready to cast the last big piece(oven opening), and I decided I should see if the other pieces would release from the form. I had used vegetable oil for a release agent, and the pieces did not want to release. After about an hour and some cursing, I finally was able to get them to release. Apparently, the form I made was of plaster. I sanded it down and painted a coat or two of Kilz primer on it. The cement acted like a suction on the primer. When it finally released it took the primer off with it. Luckily it peels off the inside of the oven like a skin. Anyway, today I took the day off from work to get some other projects finished around the house. When that was done, I cast the last pieces of the oven. I also picked up my stainless steel pieces for my flue and chimney. Good busy day today.

Comment

Your making great progress,you and your daughter should be proud

Comment

Re: NH Oven Build-Update

Well, this will be my third summer with the Homebrew castable refractory oven. We have cooked over 200 pizzas in it over the last 2 years. Few hairline cracks, but she is still running strong. Last Memorial Day we hosted our 1st annual Pizza Cookoff. We cooked 64 pizzas in 3.5 hours. It was a blast. This weekend we will be hosting the 2nd Annual Pizza Cookoff with 3 divisions: Traditional, Specialty and Dessert. Thinking about building one to start a mobile wood fired pizza business.

Comment

Re: NH Oven Build-New Pics

Some pics of the finished project-2 yrs later. Sorry

Comment

Thanks for the pictures and feedback. I am casting mine today and enjoyed your posts.

Comment

UPDATE- It has now been about 4 years and many, many firings. I am happy to report that the Homebrew castable refractory has held up awesome. Not showing any signs of crumbling or break down.

Comment

Excellent, report back in another 4 years.

Comment

Update- 6 years in and the homebrew cast dome is still going strong. Best $80 I ever spent.

Comment

Update-7 years in and ~500 pizzas later, the ol' homebrew $80 dome is like the Energizer Bunny=STILL GOING!

Comment

Thanks for following up. It is a good testament that homebrew dense cast will hold up. We have been seeing a rash of perlite/vermiculitecrete domes lately so this is timely to show how well a correctly built oven performs and "lasts".
                              Russell
                              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                                Thanks for following up. It is a good testament that homebrew dense cast will hold up. We have been seeing a rash of perlite/vermiculitecrete domes lately so this is timely to show how well a correctly built oven performs and "lasts".
                                One of the best and most favorite projects I have embarked on.

Comment

Working...
                                X