Premio Install ?; extra mortar, firing prior to stucco etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premio Install ?; extra mortar, firing prior to stucco etc

Almost finished with the steel stand so about to start the oven assembly. The steel stand has removable legs in case I want to transport it. I designed it with quick disconnect casters because we are not certain where it will go on the patio plus I might be nice to have movable. I have few questions...

1) how should i secure FB floor insulation to the steel? mortar?

2) sense I might want to transport it I was thinking of adding 1-2" of extra mortar on the outside with reinforced mess, thoughts?

3) refractory mortar? Looks like I can source this product locally, I assume it would be just fine? If I had more time I probably order the FB mortar.

Heat Stop

4) how mortar would I need to cover premio2g100?

5) what is best used for mortar reinforcement? Open weave Fiberglass?

6) the decorative tile we picked out has a 6 week lead time , any reason I can't fire the oven prior to final stucco and tile

I was originally hoping to cook in the oven on new years but it's fast approaching!

Thanks in advance!

Re: Premio Install ?; extra mortar, firing prior to stucco etc

1) how should i secure FB floor insulation to the steel? mortar?
    In my mobile build we just set the FB Floor Insulation in its' frame no glue or anything.

2) sense I might want to transport it I was thinking of adding 1-2" of extra mortar on the outside with reinforced mess, thoughts?
    I secured my oven to the box frame via steel cable which goes through to the underside of the box and is attached with eyebolts & tensioning ties. We put stucco over that.

3) refractory mortar? Looks like I can source this product locally, I assume it would be just fine? If I had more time I probably order the FB mortar.
    Couldn't tell you the difference between Heat Stop & the FB mortar.

4) how mortar would I need to cover premio2g100?
    We had a 50# bag come with our kit for a 48" oven. We had maybe 1/4 bag left.

5) what is best used for mortar reinforcement? Open weave Fiberglass?
    We chose not to reinforce with extra material (weight issues). We used insulation, metal lathe (small diamond pattern) and stucco with elastomeric stucco paint although there are many other ways you can go about finishing.

6) the decorative tile we picked out has a 6 week lead time , any reason I can't fire the oven prior to final stucco and tile.
    We started our curing fires before the stucco was applied. I finished the first 2 days worth of low temp fires and then stucco was added. Primary reason was to make sure the mortar joints weren't leaking.

I was originally hoping to cook in the oven on new years but it's fast approaching!
    Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]
    Slow & steady wins the race. I wanted my build to move along much faster but that's when mistakes are made.

On a side note: My partners & I built this oven ourselves from a kit with a pro who applied the stucco. We have limited construction knowledge but through the use of this forum and research we were able to complete our build and now have a mobile oven with no issues currently after 3 months of use. Be slow and methodical in your decision making. Take everyone's advice and then make a calculated decision. There are several "pros" on this board that can offer a depth of knowledge beyond what I have offered.

Remember also that FB is making these kits and they do have technical assistance. In the digital age that we are in sometimes we find ourselves wanting information faster than human schedules allow. Any time I have dealt with FB from a tech aspect they were there to help, but remember it may take a day or so to receive the help. Another thing to think about is that these kits are going to all kinds of people. People who need a ton of help (me), to people who do this for a living. Think about the time, energy, & money to have 500 different tech manuals on how to put one of these ovens together which is why I believe that the assembly instructions are as basic as possible.

Best,

Kenny

Comment

Working...
    X