new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti

So here is my official thread on my WFO build.

I was very keen on doing a wood fired pizza oven as I love neopolitan pizza.

I was looking at one of the $999 kits from Bunnings but then stumbled across a 2nd hand modular oven down on the Gold Coast.
    It was much bigger and I ended up grabbing it for $800 or so.

Since then I had a lot of planning to do etc.
    We had decided to rip up some of our beautiful turf to make room for a new concreted outdoor area.

Re: new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti

G'day
    you'll never regret less mowing.......

Regards Dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

So here are the photos from the early preparation stages. I did the lawn removal and foundation prep, I had a professional do the concrete pour:

Comment

haha Dave that is true. You beat me to a reply before I could get my pictures up! More coming

Comment

Here is what I consider stage 2.
          I planned and ordered all the blocks required for the outdoor area.
          We are not just having the WFO but another two structures which will have granite bench tops for pizza prep etc.
          One of the benches has a storage area which will have a door, the other one at the back will be left open and have wood stored.
          I actually have the benchtops prepped and ready to go but they won't be installed until the oven is done to avoid damage.

I had a bricklayer do the bricks to my spec.
          The suspended slab I had the concrete delivered but did all the formwork and the pour myself - my mum and sister helped do the actual pour. my mum is shown in photo removing the protective sheeting

Comment

For the next stage of my build I was planning to tile the whole top of the slab before placing my calsil board and hearth/oven etc on top of the tiles.
            I feel that it will be easier tiling the whole area rather than doing the oven build and then having to cut/tile around the curved shape of the dome and entry areas after wards.

Is there any problem with doing it this way or anyone care to comment on my plan?
            Last edited by applor; 02-25-2014, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by applor View Post
              For the next stage of my build I was planning to tile the whole top of the slab before placing my calsil board and hearth/oven etc on top of the tiles.
              I feel that it will be easier tiling the whole area rather than doing the oven build and then having to cut/tile around the curved shape of the dome and entry areas after wards.

Is there any problem with doing it this way or anyone care to comment on my plan?
              The glaze on the tile is probably as waterproof as any barrier that you could apply. You might want to seal those tile joints, though. That should help guard against wicking .

I don't have to do this on any tile that I lay , but bouncing a golf ball off of each tile will let you know if they have been set correctly .
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Yeah I will of course make sure the tiles are waterproof.
                More a question of whether the weight load of the oven on the tiles would be a concern.

On a side note, I have read that you are meant to keep the suspended slab damp for the week after its been poured. It is the first I have heard about that, the concrete delivery man said nothing of the sort and our base slab was never kept damp.
                Anyways I wet the slab this afternoon and man it was crazy - making all sort of hissing noises etc. and you can see the water 'popping' on the surface.
                Hope it's all good:/

Comment

Gudday
                  He's a truckie not a concreter, you won't see him again, as for us, of us were mug builders and we want to see you succeed . Only practice for wet cement is to cover it and wet it down. Cement cures, it doesn't dry out, it needs water for the chemical reaction to continue. Your slab will go from the dark grey/green to a littler colour as it does so. Yes it takes time, beer helps.
                  On the grout , used some from "masters" at Tingalpa and its the bomb. Don't ask me the brand they only have one. It doesn't need to be sealed like the old school type and months later it still castes off the water around my oven.
                  Regards Dave.
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once

My Build
                  My Door

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                    Gudday
                    He's a truckie not a concreter, you won't see him again, as for us, of us were mug builders and we want to see you succeed . Only practice for wet cement is to cover it and wet it down. Cement cures, it doesn't dry out, it needs water for the chemical reaction to continue. Your slab will go from the dark grey/green to a littler colour as it does so. Yes it takes time, beer helps.
                    On the grout , used some from "masters" at Tingalpa and its the bomb. Don't ask me the brand they only have one. It doesn't need to be sealed like the old school type and months later it still castes off the water around my oven.
                    Regards Dave.
                    Sort of agree, but Ouch!,( Ouch!)
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I think I may change my plan and do the tiling after the oven is built, rather than before.
                      More tricky tile cutting but I don't think it will be that bad and the tiles I have would need cutting anyways as they are not 200x200 to fit squarely on my area.
                      They are free which is why im using them

This means I may start assembling my oven this weekend, though with the hearth being poured last Monday it may need more time to cure. It is still soaking up all the water I'm giving it!

Comment

G'day
                        The most important part of the cure has Happened! Even thought the final bits of curing will continue over say a month, you can start construction now will no ill effects.
                        Regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once

My Build
                        My Door

Comment

True Dave

I let mine cure for no time. I used hebel, so it didn't matter and could start anytime. Lol

Seriously applor I would try and leave for a couple of weeks at least I kept my base slab wet with towels for around a month.

Not one crack.
                          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Yeah except I already have hairline cracks everywhere and it's all getting rendered so none of it will be visible when I'm done anyways.

Comment

Gudday
                              You could get more perfect conditions for cement to cure. 29C average 70 per cent humidity. Down the road got new garage,fencing and driveway. Cement poured on the Friday, garage up on Wednesday, car in the garage on Saturday.
                              Could believe how quickly it was completed.
                              Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once

My Build
                              My Door

Comment

Working...
                              X