Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Curing with Insulation or Without?

Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
    Stonecutter, posted more pictures and my weekend progress. I had what I believe is steam or moisture in my ceramic blanket after starting my cure. You could actually see it rising. Is this common? I had to insulate before I began the cure , because of the "steps" that are in my build. In other words I would not have been able to kept laying up the venneer without insulating first.
    If you covered green masonry with insulation then it's going to hold moisture..so yes, that would be normal to see steam. You do what you gotta do.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Just keep slow consistent fires, when you think ithe I insulation is dry, it isn't. Toys over dome clear plastics you will see more moisture. I believe blanket on as it equalised the oven, potentially minimising cracks, others believe off.,

I cured mine for over a month before rendering. Of course ed cooking while this was happening no point wasting the heat
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
        If you covered green masonry with insulation then it's going to hold moisture..so yes, that would be normal to see steam. You do what you gotta do.
        As a general rule, if you see steam then you are going at it too hard, back off with the fire or risk refractory damage or cracked outer igloo shell.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
          As a general rule, if you see steam then you are going at it too hard, back off with the fire or risk refractory damage or cracked outer igloo shell.
          In general I guess, but I would worry more with a cast dome or a stucco layer...not with a newly closed brick dome.
          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
          John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
            In general I guess, but I would worry more with a cast dome or a stucco layer...not with a newly closed brick dome.
            yes that is true.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
            X