Use just heat stop 50 for shell construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use just heat stop 50 for shell construction

Hello I'm new to the forum but I've been here looking for a few years finally gonna start the build, I'm a concrete floor guy so I'm not worried about the stand so much as the oven construction it's self I want to build the forms and then use the heat stop 50 over this ? First question is
    Do I mix he heats top 50 with anything other than water ( rock , sand, fiber etc)
    Second question
    How think do I make the walls and do I cover the form in sections or do I install the refractory in one go?

Thanks

Re: Use just heat stop 50 for shell construction

Are you planning to use the Heatstop 50 as a castable refractory? It's intended for thin bonds between firebricks, not as a bulk refractory. It's also more expensive than a true castable refractory. It might work if you used crushed firebrick as aggregate, and the usual stainless needles for reinforcement, but it's probably not the best way to go.

Comment

Go to a refractory supplier, tell them what you are doing and make sure you get a dense castable refractory not an insulating one.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I went to the local supplier here in town asked about the crushed fire brick to use as aggregate they don't make the fire brick so that was a no go so at $1.48 per brick and $44.50 per 50lbs of heat stop 50 II IM going the fire brick route

Comment

I was going to say that heatstop sounded like an expensive way to go, but I see you already figured that out!

Do some research on home-brew for your mortar. It will save you some more money
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
          X