Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 40" Oven on a trailer

Originally posted by oblertone View Post
    Indeed, maybe you'll need to hang about and drink beer until it's cool enough !
    LOL-if it is like my current oven, there isn't enough beer to drink before it cools down. Mine will still hold heat 24hrs later and it is about 250 degrees.

Comment

Anyone know anything about Heat Stop refractory cement? My local brick supplier has it for $53 per 50# bag. I would like anyone's information they might have on this product.

Comment

Originally posted by oblertone View Post
        Having pondered at length the problems regarding transporting my (brick dome) oven on a trailer I've decided it probably wouldn't survive; however I did think about inflating a yoga ball inside prior to moving it as a form of internal suspension.
        A dome is self supporting you would do better to compress the outside rather the support the inside

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
          Using perlcrete or vermicrete hard up against the dome in order to give it strength is not particularly productive because it is pretty weak. You can increase its strength by adding more cement and sand, but what you gain in strength you lose in insulating capacity eg doubling its strength will halve its insulating value.
          I used vermicrete insulation for my mobile because the fibre blanket available then (at realistic cost) was the older generation unsafe ceramic fibre. The vermicrete probably does do a better job holding the dome in position than blanket would.
          Also using perlcrete or vermicrete up against the dome requires much more care in water elimination.
          David, I was not thinking hard up to the dome but as stated secondary after the blanket. But if secured properly loose vermiculite or perlite will work great as that is how my house is filled, many cubic feet of perlite just poured in.

Because you will be driving down the road you will need to seal up every possible escape route for the vermiculite or perlite as it will blow out of even the smallest hole. Seal the house well with some type of caulk or other sealant and I think I would cover the last bit with fine screen or something that breathes but does not allow the loose insulation to escape.
          Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
            David, I was not thinking hard up to the dome but as stated secondary after the blanket. But if secured properly loose vermiculite or perlite will work great as that is how my house is filled, many cubic feet of perlite just poured in.

Because you will be driving down the road you will need to seal up every possible escape route for the vermiculite or perlite as it will blow out of even the smallest hole. Seal the house well with some type of caulk or other sealant and I think I would cover the last bit with fine screen or something that breathes but does not allow the loose insulation to escape.
            Thanks guys!
            Mr.Chip-My WFO outside has vermiculite poured in around it. I will go with one layer of ceramic blanket, straps over that, then fill with vermiculite.

Still would like your suggestions as to using HeatStop at $53 per 50#bag or just go with the homebrew. Really value your thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by benny8 View Post
              Thanks guys!
              Mr.Chip-My WFO outside has vermiculite poured in around it. I will go with one layer of ceramic blanket, straps over that, then fill with vermiculite.

Still would like your suggestions as to using HeatStop at $53 per 50#bag or just go with the homebrew. Really value your thoughts.
              If you are planning on casting your oven with a lower quality refractory (Homebrew) then it doesn't make a lot of sense using a mortar that contains high temperature materials (>2000 F) I should think the Homebrew mortar would be more compatible.

A 40" oven is pretty big. Have you calculated how heavy it will be? You'll certainly need a tandem axle and a V8 to haul it.

To make my flue removable, I did not use an anchor plate. I wrapped some stainless sheet around the flue pipe, holding it together with two wire bands, slightly loose so the pipe would slide easily inside it. I also cut a few tags in this sleeve and bent them out horizontally so they would embed in the castable that surrounded the sleeve. Simple, works a treat.
              Last edited by david s; 06-02-2015, 03:10 AM.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

If you are planning on casting your oven with a lower quality refractory (Homebrew) then it doesn't make a lot of sense using a mortar that contains high temperature materials (>2000 F) I should think the Homebrew mortar would be more compatible.

A 40" oven is pretty big. Have you calculated how heavy it will be? You'll certainly need a tandem axle and a V8 to haul it.

To make my flue removable, I did not use an anchor plate. I wrapped some stainless sheet around the flue pipe, holding it together with two wire bands, slightly loose so the pipe would slide easily inside it. I also cut a few tags in this sleeve and bent them out horizontally so they would embed in the castable that surrounded the sleeve. Simple, works a treat.
                A 2.5" wall thickness with a 15" dome height calculated out to about 750 lb dome weight. My question was not about using the 2 together. The question was could the HeatStop be used as a castable itself and if anyone has had any experience with it? The FireWithin trailers utilize single axles with their ovens weighing 12-1300 lbs. I am sure a single axle trailer will be suitable for my build as well as my V6 pickup.

Comment

Sorry, i misunderstood you. You did say you intended to build the oven with homebrew. I've not used Heatstop, but it is designed as a mortar not as a castable. They do say it's not suitable for anything greater than 1/2". Maybe it might work, but you'd probably be better to seek out a proprietary castable from a refractory supplier. There are lots of different types available, but make sure you get a dense castable not an insulating one. The reason I suggested a tandem trailer is that my oven is on a single axle and weighs in at around 200 kgs. The drawbar has gone skywards twice. No damage done, but i'm sure there would have been had the weight been double or triple. I wouldn't be game to put a 40" oven on a single axle.
                  Last edited by david s; 06-02-2015, 05:17 AM.

Comment

No worries. I actually might have found a castable from the same company that makes the Heatstop. It is called Heatcast. It comes in 40 lb bags and says it weighs 120 lbs per cu. ft. My calculations come out to a little under 5 cu. ft. Hopefully the supplier that has the heatstop can get the heatcast. If not I will just stick with the homebrew.

Comment

No worries. I actually might have found a castable from the same company that makes the Heatstop. It is called Heatcast. It comes in 40 lb bags and says it weighs 120 lbs per cu. ft. My calculations come out to a little under 5 cu. ft. Hopefully the supplier that has the heatstop can get the heatcast. If not I will just stick with the homebrew.
                      Also don't forget there is a lot more weight when you add supporting slab, floor, flue gallery and outer shell or enclosure.
                      Last edited by david s; 06-02-2015, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Cement weighs approximately 140 lbs per cubic foot. The castable website lists it at 120 lbs per cu. ft. I estimated high at the dome weighing 750 lbs. My supporting "slab" will be 2"x2" box tubing with 3/8" plate steel.

Looks like I will be going with the homebrew as my supplier can't/won't get the HeatCast. The price to buy it online wants as much for shipping as the price of the material. Oh well, pushing forward.

Comment

Cement weighs approximately 140 lbs per cubic foot. The castable website lists it at 120 lbs per cu. ft
                          Yes, that's right. I was getting mixed up because we work with litres and kilograms.
                          Good luck.

Comment

Yes, that's right. I was getting mixed up because we work with litres and kilograms.
                            Good luck.
                            Thank you David-I will try to post up some pics this weekend. Hope to get some work done on my forms.

Comment

I was pretty discouraged yesterday because the local brick supplier refused to get the Heatcast 40 for me even though they stock the Heatstop. But, went home and while I was eating dinner, the phone rang(grrrrrrr). It was a guy from Heat Stop. He was calling me directly from the company. I had put in an inquiry that day and hadn't heard back. He called up apologizing for taking so long to get back to me(it was less than 4 hrs). I told him that my local supplier couldn't/wouldn't get the castable for me. He asked me how many bags I was looking for. I told him 15 bags. He said he would get back to me today with a price delivered. I figured I was going to take it in the hind end on shipping because I had inquired about it online thru another distributor out of NJ. The price thru the online distributor was $47 per 40#bag. To deliver 15 bags, the shipping alone was going to be $339. Would have been $1044.
                              To my surprise I got a email this morning from the Heat Stop direct guy for a price of $39 a bag delivered. $585-Looks like I will be using a castable refractory!

Comment

I was pretty discouraged yesterday because the local brick supplier refused to get the Heatcast 40 for me even though they stock the Heatstop. But, went home and while I was eating dinner, the phone rang(grrrrrrr). It was a guy from Heat Stop. He was calling me directly from the company. I had put in an inquiry that day and hadn't heard back. He called up apologizing for taking so long to get back to me(it was less than 4 hrs). I told him that my local supplier couldn't/wouldn't get the castable for me. He asked me how many bags I was looking for. I told him 15 bags. He said he would get back to me today with a price delivered. I figured I was going to take it in the hind end on shipping because I had inquired about it online thru another distributor out of NJ. The price thru the online distributor was $47 per 40#bag. To deliver 15 bags, the shipping alone was going to be $339. Would have been $1044.
                                To my surprise I got a email this morning from the Heat Stop direct guy for a price of $39 a bag delivered. $585-Looks like I will be using a castable refractory!

Can I get the phone number of that guy? I need some here and they charge $79 for a 50lbs bag. I would appreciate that very much.
                                Best Regards...
                                Gugahulk!

My Build...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/w...-fl-21793.html

**************************************************
                                BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME
                                Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.
                                STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND DO IT!

Comment

Working...
                                X