Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conto linos
    replied
    Can anyone please tell me if I can put a Forno bravo model napoli120 on the outside porch of a pizza trailer buildout I want to do?

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Your trailer is unlikely to rattle to bits but the oven is vulnerable as it's heavy and brittle. Mine is a 3 piece cast dome and is doing ok, but some manufactures specifically make a one piece dome for this reason.
    Put shocks on the trailer and to lower the centre of gravity for better safety transporting the thing, my floor level is lower than normal. Mine is 90cm to floor, most around 110.
    As Russel said vermicrete is not really a suitable material for the inner dome of an oven, particularly a mobile one the table tells the story. A dense castable is more like 3000psi

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_83170 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.2 KB ID:	424726
    Last edited by david s; 06-25-2020, 04:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    I suggest you talk or look at David S threads, he has done a mobile cast unit and also produces cast ovens commercially. I can tell you he will not recommend a vcrete dome but rather a dense cast commercial or home brew mix as the main dome material.

Leave a comment:

• benbroderick
    replied
    Hi, sorry to reawaken a dormant thread here. I'm looking to build my own pizza oven trailer here in Ireland. I was wondering if this project went ahead, and if so, would you have advice for me?

I've already bought a trailer. I'm planning on casting a vermiculite dome on top of a fire brick base. I wanted to make some sort of metal frame to raise the level of the oven also.

I was wondering if you could put up pictures and let me know what worked and didn't work! Also did the trailer rattle to pieces while driving? Thanks

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied
    Re: 40" Oven on a trailer

Heatcast 40 Heat Stop

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Originally posted by benny8 View Post
    Just look up Heatcast on google search.
    Heatcast? Nothing comes up for that.

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied

Originally posted by gugahulk View Post
    Can I get the phone number of that guy? I need some here and they charge $79 for a 50lbs bag. I would appreciate that very much.
    I don't have his number-I corresponded via email. Just look up Heatcast on google search. Go to the site and click on the contact us tab.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

I was pretty discouraged yesterday because the local brick supplier refused to get the Heatcast 40 for me even though they stock the Heatstop. But, went home and while I was eating dinner, the phone rang(grrrrrrr). It was a guy from Heat Stop. He was calling me directly from the company. I had put in an inquiry that day and hadn't heard back. He called up apologizing for taking so long to get back to me(it was less than 4 hrs). I told him that my local supplier couldn't/wouldn't get the castable for me. He asked me how many bags I was looking for. I told him 15 bags. He said he would get back to me today with a price delivered. I figured I was going to take it in the hind end on shipping because I had inquired about it online thru another distributor out of NJ. The price thru the online distributor was $47 per 40#bag. To deliver 15 bags, the shipping alone was going to be $339. Would have been $1044.
    To my surprise I got a email this morning from the Heat Stop direct guy for a price of $39 a bag delivered. $585-Looks like I will be using a castable refractory!

Can I get the phone number of that guy? I need some here and they charge $79 for a 50lbs bag. I would appreciate that very much.

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied

I was pretty discouraged yesterday because the local brick supplier refused to get the Heatcast 40 for me even though they stock the Heatstop. But, went home and while I was eating dinner, the phone rang(grrrrrrr). It was a guy from Heat Stop. He was calling me directly from the company. I had put in an inquiry that day and hadn't heard back. He called up apologizing for taking so long to get back to me(it was less than 4 hrs). I told him that my local supplier couldn't/wouldn't get the castable for me. He asked me how many bags I was looking for. I told him 15 bags. He said he would get back to me today with a price delivered. I figured I was going to take it in the hind end on shipping because I had inquired about it online thru another distributor out of NJ. The price thru the online distributor was $47 per 40#bag. To deliver 15 bags, the shipping alone was going to be $339. Would have been $1044.
    To my surprise I got a email this morning from the Heat Stop direct guy for a price of $39 a bag delivered. $585-Looks like I will be using a castable refractory!

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Yes, that's right. I was getting mixed up because we work with litres and kilograms.
    Good luck.
    Thank you David-I will try to post up some pics this weekend. Hope to get some work done on my forms.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Cement weighs approximately 140 lbs per cubic foot. The castable website lists it at 120 lbs per cu. ft
    Yes, that's right. I was getting mixed up because we work with litres and kilograms.
    Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied

Cement weighs approximately 140 lbs per cubic foot. The castable website lists it at 120 lbs per cu. ft. I estimated high at the dome weighing 750 lbs. My supporting "slab" will be 2"x2" box tubing with 3/8" plate steel.

Looks like I will be going with the homebrew as my supplier can't/won't get the HeatCast. The price to buy it online wants as much for shipping as the price of the material. Oh well, pushing forward.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

No worries. I actually might have found a castable from the same company that makes the Heatstop. It is called Heatcast. It comes in 40 lb bags and says it weighs 120 lbs per cu. ft. My calculations come out to a little under 5 cu. ft. Hopefully the supplier that has the heatstop can get the heatcast. If not I will just stick with the homebrew.
    Also don't forget there is a lot more weight when you add supporting slab, floor, flue gallery and outer shell or enclosure.
    Last edited by david s; 06-02-2015, 06:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied

No worries. I actually might have found a castable from the same company that makes the Heatstop. It is called Heatcast. It comes in 40 lb bags and says it weighs 120 lbs per cu. ft. My calculations come out to a little under 5 cu. ft. Hopefully the supplier that has the heatstop can get the heatcast. If not I will just stick with the homebrew.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Sorry, i misunderstood you. You did say you intended to build the oven with homebrew. I've not used Heatstop, but it is designed as a mortar not as a castable. They do say it's not suitable for anything greater than 1/2". Maybe it might work, but you'd probably be better to seek out a proprietary castable from a refractory supplier. There are lots of different types available, but make sure you get a dense castable not an insulating one. The reason I suggested a tandem trailer is that my oven is on a single axle and weighs in at around 200 kgs. The drawbar has gone skywards twice. No damage done, but i'm sure there would have been had the weight been double or triple. I wouldn't be game to put a 40" oven on a single axle.
    Last edited by david s; 06-02-2015, 05:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X