Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hearth Height and operator ratio science!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hearth Height and operator ratio science!

Originally posted by Xabia Jim View Post
    CJ's tall customer had a .61 ratio. And if I was using that Modena commercial it would be at .65, higher for shorter help!

It looks like we're running into an average ratio in the low .5's to the mid .6's so far.

What we need to hear from are unhappy customers....Is anyone willing to admit that their hearth height is too low or too high? What about ratio's below .5 or above .65?

Or are WFO users just so happy having a oven like me that they're glowing on cloud 9.
    Just went out and measured my pizza oven hearth... Since I never planned for others to be cooking out there, I built it for me. The hearth is at 59 inches, which makes my ratio right at .75 One consideration I had in building it that high was that I wanted to make the smoker oven underneath it big enough for a full pig if I ever to the point of smoking one. It doesn't seem too high for me, I still have to bend slightly to see into the back of the oven.
    Even though I planned to all the cooking, my wife ended up doing some of the pizzas at the last party, Ratio for her is .85!...i heard some griping from her, but the pizzas went in and came out okay.
    Paradise is where you make it.

Comment

Hearth Height and operator ratio science!

Happy to find this old thread!

My ratio is .759

Its high, but being an old Bell UH-1 helicopter pilot, my back hurts most all the time anyway....Why aggrevate it having to bend over to work/look in the oven? Arms are still strong, back is weak

My hearth height is 50 7/8 inches tall. At the current height of about 5' 7", (I used to be 5' 9") that oven floor height seems comfortable given my age and conditions

I'll make the oven landing a bit shallower and use long handled tools to compensate for the higher oven height.
      Last edited by Lburou; 04-02-2011, 01:21 PM. Reason: fuzzy math
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

If you find it's a bit high, it is easier to make a step than dig a pit if it's too low.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

"If you find it's a bit high, it is easier to make a step than dig a pit if it's too low."

Err on the high side. Raising the oven afterword would be a bit of a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
            "If you find it's a bit high, it is easier to make a step than dig a pit if it's too low."

Err on the high side. Raising the oven afterword would be a bit of a challenge.
            I agree. I've read several members here report a desire for a higher oven height. I wanted to be sure there would be no bending. Thanks for the reassurance.
            Lee B.
            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

I wish I would have built my hearht higher - 8 inches at a minumum
              Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

"I wish I would have built my hearht higher - 8 inches at a minumum"

Do you have a structural suspended slab on a block wall ? You may be able to jack it up one block course.
                - Pick the middle course (height wise), jackhammer out the block and concrete on the block next to each corner.
                - Cut the rebar (if present) with your angle grinder.
                - Put a temporary block in and wedge it well.
                - Remove the remainder of that course.
                - Rent or borrow 4 low rise hydraulic jacks. One ton jacks should be sufficient. Place them in the corners, make sure they are perfectly level.
                - Jack slowly, wedging/blocking as you go.
                - When you reach the full block height, mortar in new blocks. Let set, remove jacks and mortar in corner blocks.
                - Keep pets and kids back 20 feet throughout above.
                Last edited by Neil2; 01-10-2011, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I read somewhere that the ideal height was 1m. I think you get used to whatever you have. Ours is 850mm which puts the fire at eye level for seated guests, which is rather fun to watch the fire.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

My hearth is also pretty much set at eye level for people seated at the patio. Works for my height as well.
                    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

When i built my hearth stand, i added one row of half blocks to the standard instructions. My oven floor is set on 3" of ceramic insulation, and is at 45" from ground level. i'm 6'2", so 45/74 = .608 It works for me, and i think that if i had built it any higher it would have looked out of place. i plan on starting a full post of my build, but i have to find all of the memory cards.... with teenagers in the house it's not going to be easy.

Comment

I'm working on calculating my height for my stand. We will be building a 36" Pompeii

I would like my height to be about 43.5 inches, based on my height 5 feet 10 Inches, height from floor to elbow 43.5 inches.

If I have 4 concrete blocks, 4 x 8 inches = 32"
                        Hearth 3.5 inches
                        Insulation Board 2"
                        Firebrick 2.5"

Total 40 inches

What is the best way to add an additional 3.5 inches?

Pam

Comment

Originally posted by Ockenfels View Post
                          I'm working on calculating my height for my stand. We will be building a 36" Pompeii

I would like my height to be about 43.5 inches, based on my height 5 feet 10 Inches, height from floor to elbow 43.5 inches.

If I have 4 concrete blocks, 4 x 8 inches = 32"
                          Hearth 3.5 inches
                          Insulation Board 2"
                          Firebrick 2.5"

Total 40 inches

What is the best way to add an additional 3.5 inches?

Pam
                          If in doubt, go Higher!

If you read back through this thread, I think you'll detect a slight preference for a higher floor as it is easier on the back especially when you start cooking lots of pizza. At one of our recent parties, I lost count of the pizza cooked after around 73, but I couldn't imagine my back holding out for that many around if I was having to bend to an oven at elbow height.

But, if you really just want to add 3.5 inches, the easiest option is probably to dig your foundation 4.5 inches deeper and use a fifth course of 8" block.
                          Paradise is where you make it.

Comment

Or use half depth blocks. If you can not get those then you could cut blocks in half. They are not hard to cut. It would be easier than digging deeper. IMHO
                            Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Thanks for our thoughts. I think I'll go with the 5 courses of full height blocks which will give me a oven floor height of 48".

Comment

Pam,

If you go 5 courses you will have to take your vitamins to grow taller, just kidding. Elbow height is a good rule of thumb. Just so you know, if you are dry stacking, the actual dimensions of an eight inch concrete block or CMU is really on 7.625" so you oven height will be closer to what you want. An inch here or there won't matter. Good luck with your build.
                                Russell
                                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                                X