Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hearth Height and operator ratio science!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • John M
    replied
    Great info in this thread!

    Just getting back into my WFO pre build again. Courtyard slab poured a year ago with posts set in place. Hoping to get the pre cast concrete benches delivered and set in place this week along with some general fencing around the courtyard.

    Posts are 800mm out of concrete, 150mm bearer on top with a 100mm concrete pre cast counter/bench. Bench height is 1050mm or close to 42” insulation board and fire brick hearth lifts the cooking height to 46.5-47”

    I’m 6’1” and my wife is 5’11” but both elbow heights are identical at 45.5” (0.63 ratio for me and 0.66 for my wife)

    We have three daughters 10-14 yr olds, who are are all keen cooks so I’m not wanting them to be excluded but at least they can grow or use a step till they can reach.

    John

    Leave a comment:


  • stonylake
    replied
    Re: Hearth Height and operator ratio science!

    i used 4 courses of 8" block and a course of 1/2 blocks @ 4".. i'm 6'1"

    Leave a comment:


  • UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: Hearth Height and operator ratio science!

    Pam,

    If you go 5 courses you will have to take your vitamins to grow taller, just kidding. Elbow height is a good rule of thumb. Just so you know, if you are dry stacking, the actual dimensions of an eight inch concrete block or CMU is really on 7.625" so you oven height will be closer to what you want. An inch here or there won't matter. Good luck with your build.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ockenfels
    replied
    Re: Hearth Height and operator ratio science!

    Thanks for our thoughts. I think I'll go with the 5 courses of full height blocks which will give me a oven floor height of 48".

    Leave a comment:


  • Greenman
    replied
    Re: Hearth Height and operator ratio science!

    Or use half depth blocks. If you can not get those then you could cut blocks in half. They are not hard to cut. It would be easier than digging deeper. IMHO

    Leave a comment:


  • cvdukes
    replied
    Re: Hearth Height and operator ratio science!

    Originally posted by Ockenfels View Post
    I'm working on calculating my height for my stand. We will be building a 36" Pompeii

    I would like my height to be about 43.5 inches, based on my height 5 feet 10 Inches, height from floor to elbow 43.5 inches.

    If I have 4 concrete blocks, 4 x 8 inches = 32"
    Hearth 3.5 inches
    Insulation Board 2"
    Firebrick 2.5"

    Total 40 inches

    What is the best way to add an additional 3.5 inches?

    Pam
    If in doubt, go Higher!

    If you read back through this thread, I think you'll detect a slight preference for a higher floor as it is easier on the back especially when you start cooking lots of pizza. At one of our recent parties, I lost count of the pizza cooked after around 73, but I couldn't imagine my back holding out for that many around if I was having to bend to an oven at elbow height.

    But, if you really just want to add 3.5 inches, the easiest option is probably to dig your foundation 4.5 inches deeper and use a fifth course of 8" block.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ockenfels
    replied
    Re: Hearth Height and operator ratio science!

    I'm working on calculating my height for my stand. We will be building a 36" Pompeii

    I would like my height to be about 43.5 inches, based on my height 5 feet 10 Inches, height from floor to elbow 43.5 inches.

    If I have 4 concrete blocks, 4 x 8 inches = 32"
    Hearth 3.5 inches
    Insulation Board 2"
    Firebrick 2.5"

    Total 40 inches

    What is the best way to add an additional 3.5 inches?

    Pam

    Leave a comment:


  • stonylake
    replied
    Re: Hearth Height and operator ratio science!

    When i built my hearth stand, i added one row of half blocks to the standard instructions. My oven floor is set on 3" of ceramic insulation, and is at 45" from ground level. i'm 6'2", so 45/74 = .608 It works for me, and i think that if i had built it any higher it would have looked out of place. i plan on starting a full post of my build, but i have to find all of the memory cards.... with teenagers in the house it's not going to be easy.

    Leave a comment:


  • fxpose
    replied
    Re: Hearth Height and operator ratio science!

    My hearth is also pretty much set at eye level for people seated at the patio. Works for my height as well.

    Leave a comment:


  • david s
    replied
    Re: Hearth Height and operator ratio science!

    I read somewhere that the ideal height was 1m. I think you get used to whatever you have. Ours is 850mm which puts the fire at eye level for seated guests, which is rather fun to watch the fire.

    Leave a comment:


  • Neil2
    replied
    Re: Hearth Height and operator ratio science!

    "I wish I would have built my hearht higher - 8 inches at a minumum"

    Do you have a structural suspended slab on a block wall ? You may be able to jack it up one block course.
    - Pick the middle course (height wise), jackhammer out the block and concrete on the block next to each corner.
    - Cut the rebar (if present) with your angle grinder.
    - Put a temporary block in and wedge it well.
    - Remove the remainder of that course.
    - Rent or borrow 4 low rise hydraulic jacks. One ton jacks should be sufficient. Place them in the corners, make sure they are perfectly level.
    - Jack slowly, wedging/blocking as you go.
    - When you reach the full block height, mortar in new blocks. Let set, remove jacks and mortar in corner blocks.
    - Keep pets and kids back 20 feet throughout above.
    Last edited by Neil2; 01-10-2011, 05:57 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • C5dad
    replied
    Re: Hearth Height and operator ratio science!

    I wish I would have built my hearht higher - 8 inches at a minumum

    Leave a comment:


  • Lburou
    replied
    Re: Hearth Height and operator ratio science!

    Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
    "If you find it's a bit high, it is easier to make a step than dig a pit if it's too low."

    Err on the high side. Raising the oven afterword would be a bit of a challenge.
    I agree. I've read several members here report a desire for a higher oven height. I wanted to be sure there would be no bending. Thanks for the reassurance.

    Leave a comment:


  • Neil2
    replied
    Re: Hearth Height and operator ratio science!

    "If you find it's a bit high, it is easier to make a step than dig a pit if it's too low."

    Err on the high side. Raising the oven afterword would be a bit of a challenge.

    Leave a comment:


  • david s
    replied
    Re: Hearth Height and operator ratio science!

    If you find it's a bit high, it is easier to make a step than dig a pit if it's too low.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X