Wrapping Blanket On Dome/mixer Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrapping Blanket On Dome/mixer Purchase

I Am Getting Ready To Wrap The Forno Bravo Insulation Blanket Around The Dome On My Casa 110 Oven. I Want To Put Two Layers. Does Anyone Have Any Ideas On How To Get Started? My Concern Is How To Keep The Blanket In Place. I Plan To Wrap The Dome And Then Fill The Cavity With Loose Granular Vermiculite.

Secondly, I'm Researching Dough Mixers And Have Narrowed It To Two Models -- The Dlx By Electrolux Or The Finger Mixer Which I Believe Is European. Does Anyone Have Any Experience And/or Advise About Either Model?

Thanks,

Joe

Re: Wrapping Blanket On Dome/mixer Purchase

Joe,
    One Recommendation Is To Put The Layers Perpendicular To Each Other. I Think In Most Cases People Tend To Fix the Blanket In Place With Wire Mesh Or Wires But Avoiding Its Compression.
    Best Wishes,
    W.
    "Carpe diem." - Fish of the Day (The Uxbridge English Dictionary)

Comment

I have not installed mine yet but I placed hooks toward the front in the brickwork to tie the blankets down. have not decide yet what I am going to tie it down with, probably cotton string. if it burns or melts it does not matter. it is just to keep it in place during the construction phase. guess I could use wire tied to the hooks.

Comment

I'll steal this idea! Is that OK?
        W.
        "Carpe diem." - Fish of the Day (The Uxbridge English Dictionary)

Comment

Fill what cavity with vermiculite? Your dome enclosure? I'm not quite sure what you're referring to in that part of your question.

The blanket is heavy enough that it will stay in place where you put it. I used some rebar wire around the oven, twist tied in front before adding vermicrete to mine. Once that layer was set up, I snipped the wire back to the point where it emerged from the vermicrete.

I've heard great things about the Electrolux. There's a great thread on here about mixers started by Canuk Jim. I recommend you read the entire thing when you've got some free time. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/mixers-596.html

Almost every topic you can think up relating to ovens and cooking/baking has been discussed here. The search option will almost always get you the answer you're looking for.
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Fixing blanket!

Luis

Comment

Hey, Luis, I have been wondering about your coating on that oven. Is that the vermiculite/perlite/concrete mix? If it is, did you just slap it on in layers by hand? It looks really good in some of the pictures I've seen- nice and smooth even though it looks like you put it on in bands as you mixed it up. I was thinking about doing it that way myself, but I haven't used the mix yet so I wasn't sure if it was possible. Can you enlighten me, please?
              Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

I thought it looked like you had put a metal screen or mesh over it?
                lookes too evenly checkerboarded to be concrete?

Comment

Luis,

How many blankets did you purchase? Is this just one blanket or two?
                  what is the cement at the base for? is it just to hold the mesh down?

Comment

I think that the cement at the bottom is actually vermicrete being applied. Start at the bottom and work up.
                    GJBingham
                    -----------------------------------
                    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Eg, Ma and Gj:

I bought several (40x18x0.75 inches) blankets. Probably were eight blankets at all.
                      Those blankets where of fiberglass ones. If I will do that again, I will go to ceramic blankets (fiberglass goes to 250?C, ceramic to 1000?C).
                      I did the cladding and did cover it with the blankets. Then the wire mesh was wrapped and stretched out over the blankets using the bricks as weight (anything could did the trick).
                      The wire had two functions, maintain the blankets in place and give some surface to the vermiculite layer grab on it.
                      The layer in the last picture is the first vermiculite band as I mixed. See pictures below.
                      The mixture was 9:1 vermiculite/cement.
                      It is better if the dry vermiculite is first mixed with the dry cement and the water is slightly showered over the mixture, just to give some humidity to maintain the particles together.
                      I did all the work by my hands, no mixer. The layers or bands were arranged as mixed.
                      The last picture shows the first band. 24 hours to dry and the next band was set over the first one, and so on. Easy and funny work. The texture of the vermiculite layer is similar to a cork and sounds hollow when dry.
                      There is another technique in what the cement and the water are mixed, and after added to the vermiculite. It is writing up in some place in this site. Higher relationship from vermiculite to cement, could be something interesting to try.
                      A side comment is that the ceramic blanket is far expensive that the fiberglass one. It is possible (and better, I think) to use the fiberglass blanket OVER the vermiculite layer (the temperature will be lower and do not affect the fiberglass properties).
                      Let me know if I had totally answered your questions.
                      Funny work!

Luis

Comment

Working...
                      X