Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leowiz
    replied
    I start my project of installing a Casag90 oven soon. This thread is definitely useful. I am also in the pacific NW (Portland). How is your oven holding up? Do you like the size?

Leave a comment:

• Huckleberry Hill
    replied
    Z
    Originally posted by Huckleberry Hill View Post
    Thanks Mike! It wouldn’t be as nice without the advice I’ve received from the group here, that’s foe sure!
    I do intend to enclose the base as you describe next summer but maybe I’ll at least get the cement board on this year.
    Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• SableSprings
    replied
    Michael, the oven looks great with the paint coating! Are you going to put a skirt on the sides to protect that wood a bit? I thought about putting on some sheets of cement backer board on the sides and then adding tile or cultured rock to make the stand look more "classic" (whatever that means ). I am a little concerned that some of the wood might get wet and freeze causing some damage to your base stand. Would seem to be something to think about in the upcoming seasons.

At any rate, your efforts have certainly created a fabulous center for entertainment show casing pizza, bread, roasts, etc. Looking forward to hearing how you are using and enjoying the oven.

Leave a comment:

• Huckleberry Hill
    replied
    Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    I should have known from the previous pic that you weren't finished. The Face brick arch looks great! You should be golden with that. Yes, I have and idea for a storm door that is not recessed. I will have to get to my older computer to do a sketch. But, it has to do with including a water channel into the door. It is a simple design. It is good that you sloped the landing away from the opening. Give me a couple of days for the sketch.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    I should have known from the previous pic that you weren't finished. The Face brick arch looks great! You should be golden with that. Yes, I have and idea for a storm door that is not recessed. I will have to get to my older computer to do a sketch. But, it has to do with including a water channel into the door. It is a simple design. It is good that you sloped the landing away from the opening. Give me a couple of days for the sketch.

Leave a comment:

• Huckleberry Hill
    replied
    Huck, it is looking great!

The only thing that I would have advised is to include a brow over the front or a recess for a storm door. Neither is too late to include. I'm all about keeping moisture out of the oven and the entry .
    Thanks Gulf.. I poured the landing/countertop yesterday and am setting an FB brick arch on that. (I'm considering adding mortar over the arch to blend it into the structure.) That will give me about a 4" brow. I sloped the landing away from the opening. Do you think that will be enough for a storm door? I am quite worried about water intrusion from the door area Do you have any ideas for a storm door?
    So far my water protection : ungrouted tile mat under 2" FoamGlas, 1/2" weep holes under the tile, 2 heavy coats of Thoroseal over the brown coat of stucco. I plan on painting over the thoroseal which a good exterior paint I'd like build a roof over but that's in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Huck, it is looking great!

The only thing that I would have advised is to include a brow over the front or a recess for a storm door. Neither is too late to include. I'm all about keeping moisture out of the oven and the entry .

Leave a comment:

• Huckleberry Hill
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Huckleberry Hill
    replied
    Added more tile and foamglas per Gulfs recommendation so insulation blankets are above concrete deck. Foamglas is pretty delicate- had to be careful when lathing oven. I think the shape turned out really good IMHO.
    Last edited by Huckleberry Hill; 09-03-2018, 11:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Huckleberry Hill
    replied
    Originally posted by david s View Post

Yes it is Hydrogen Sulphide and here is one manufacturers MSDS. I should think that the small amount of cutting you’’d be doing, provided it’s in a well ventilated area, should not be a problem, but good to take precaution with a dust mask for particle protection.
    http://www.ais-group.com.au/images/p...14_Annex-A.pdf

I think you have about the best underfloor solution that I've seen.
    N95 dust mast and safety glasses, long pants and sleeves. It was a windy day so i worked up wind. Couldn't smell a thing. Dusty stuff too!

Leave a comment:

• Huckleberry Hill
    replied
    It would have been good to have extended the tiles and glass out the thickness of the blanket insulation. That would have elevated the blanket above the damp hearth and provided something for which to anchor the lath or mesh. You may still be able to figure something out.
    My plan was to anchor the lath to the concrete deck with Tapcon screws on 6" centers. The foam glass has no strength for this.

Leave a comment:

• Huckleberry Hill
    replied
    It would have been good to have extended the tiles and glass out the thickness of the blanket insulation. That would have elevated the blanket above the damp hearth and provided something for which to anchor the lath or mesh. You may still be able to figure something out.
    Dang Joe! Great idea! I have enough left over to do that. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Originally posted by david s View Post

If it’s hydrogen sulphide then it’s extremely poisonous, avoid breathing it. Check the MSDS on the product and follow their instructions re handling and cutting.
    Yes it is Hydrogen Sulphide and here is one manufacturers MSDS. I should think that the small amount of cutting you’’d be doing, provided it’s in a well ventilated area, should not be a problem, but good to take precaution with a dust mask for particle protection.
    http://www.ais-group.com.au/images/p...14_Annex-A.pdf

I think you have about the best underfloor solution that I've seen.
    Last edited by david s; 08-25-2018, 03:49 PM. Reason: added compliment

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Should work like a champ, originally concerned when I saw pic for FoamGlas on top the realized you were using CaSi as a template. Cutting FoamGlas gives of a rotten egg smell, it is from the gas that is used to form the bubbles in the molten glass during the manufacturer process.
    If it’s hydrogen sulphide then it’s extremely poisonous, avoid breathing it. Check the MSDS on the product and follow their instructions re handling and cutting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X