Concrete sealer, insulation and floor prep questions for Casa 90 instal)Pho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete sealer, insulation and floor prep questions for Casa 90 instal)Pho

Finally getting our concrete counter tops into place and getting ready to start moving our new Casa 90 onto it. Took us a bit of time as we’ve used Buddy Rhodes Craftsment mix in forms for all of our tops. We’re about to apply sealant and had two questions:

-Does it make sense to apply concrete sealer to the countertop underneath the area where our oven will sit?
    Insulation and brick will be sitting on top of this and I don’t know how much heat the sealer (also from Buddy Rhodes) can take or if chemicals from the sealer will leach through the insulation and into the oven, brick (and food, oh no!)

-Should we raise the insulation at all, or is it ok if it sits directly on the countertop?
    I’m concerned for moisture as the oven will be exposed and we may run the risk of not having a complete waterproof barrier once we stucco the dome insulation and surround everything.
    Though it doesn’t rain often here, there’s a chance that water will pool when it does, and seep under the dome/into the insulation. I’ve read that some folks have pull drainage/weep holes in their tops to account for this, but would love to void this if possible.

I’ve uploaded the only pic I have of our build on this computer. Oven will be going in the corner of the “L” on the island. Thanks for the input and all the great forum content so far!

Wet insulation is one of the most common problems with poor oven performance. By placing the CaSi board directly on the concrete heath, any water that migrates in and under the CaSi will dampen the insulation since it is very water absorbent. So you can do a couple things, weep holes (not sure why you want to avoid) you won't see them, there under the dome. No need to seal concrete under the dome, confirm that Buddy Rhoades sealer is food safe (probably is) since you are using it on all of the concrete counters. You can also raise the CaSi board with some spaced out cheap or surplus ceramic tile with with spaces for any water to migrate to the weep holes (which can drill in easily) Some builders use concrete pavers as well. Again wet insulation is one of the most common oven performance problems or take your chances and lay CaSi directly on hearth understanding if CaSi gets wet you will need to recure the oven to drive the moisture out, problem with this is you don't know CaSi is wet until you are cooking and floor is not heating or retaining heat.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Utah Beehiver! I think I’m going to try and find someone who has done this type of install (or similar) in the LA area, to help us out. In addition to making sure there’s adequate drainage/flow under insulation, the stucco and lathe process is a bit daunting for a first-timer. I’m not worried about trying, I’m just worried about screwing up the look of the stucco, and then I have a lop-sided igloo

Comment

Originally posted by Omartastic View Post
        Finally getting our concrete counter tops into place and getting ready to start moving our new Casa 90 onto it. Took us a bit of time as weve used Buddy Rhodes Craftsment mix in forms for all of our tops. Were about to apply sealant and had two questions:

-Does it make sense to apply concrete sealer to the countertop underneath the area where our oven will sit?
        Insulation and brick will be sitting on top of this and I dont know how much heat the sealer (also from Buddy Rhodes) can take or if chemicals from the sealer will leach through the insulation and into the oven, brick (and food, oh no!)

-Should we raise the insulation at all, or is it ok if it sits directly on the countertop?
        Im concerned for moisture as the oven will be exposed and we may run the risk of not having a complete waterproof barrier once we stucco the dome insulation and surround everything.
        Though it doesnt rain often here, theres a chance that water will pool when it does, and seep under the dome/into the insulation. Ive read that some folks have pull drainage/weep holes in their tops to account for this concrete staining tampa, but would love to void this if possible.

Ive uploaded the only pic I have of our build on this computer. Oven will be going in the corner of the L on the island. Thanks for the input and all the great forum content so far!

It's great to hear that you are making progress with your concrete countertops! Here are some answers to your questions:
        • Applying concrete sealer to the countertop underneath the area where your oven will sit is a good idea to help protect the surface. However, it's important to make sure that the sealer you use is heat-resistant and won't release any harmful chemicals when exposed to high temperatures. You may want to check with the manufacturer of your sealer to see if it's safe to use in this application.
        • As for raising the insulation, it's always a good idea to provide some separation between the countertop and the insulation to prevent moisture from seeping in. You could consider using a waterproof membrane or a layer of foam board insulation between the two. Alternatively, you could create a small air gap by placing some spacers (like small pieces of tile) between the two layers.

Overall, it's important to make sure that the area where the oven will sit is well-protected from moisture and heat. With a little bit of planning and some careful selection of materials, you should be able to create a durable and functional countertop that will serve you well for years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Omartastic View Post
          Finally getting our concrete counter tops into place and getting ready to start moving our new Casa 90 onto it. Took us a bit of time as weve used Buddy Rhodes Craftsment mix in forms for all of our tops. Were about to apply sealant and had two questions:

Insulation and brick will be sitting on top of this and I dont know how much heat the sealer (also from Buddy Rhodes) can take or if chemicals from the sealer will leach through the insulation and into the oven, brick (and food, oh no!)

Im concerned for moisture as the oven will be exposed and we may run the risk of not having a complete waterproof barrier once we stucco the dome insulation and surround everything.
          Though it doesnt rain often here, theres a chance that water will pool when it does floor preparation boston, and seep under the dome/into the insulation. Ive read that some folks have pull drainage/weep holes in their tops to account for this, but would love to void this if possible.

Ive uploaded the only pic I have of our build on this computer. Oven will be going in the corner of the L on the island. Thanks for the input and all the great forum content so far!

Congratulations on your concrete countertops and new Casa 90 oven! Here are some answers to your questions:
          1. It is generally recommended to apply a concrete sealer to the entire surface of your countertop, including the area underneath the oven. The sealer will provide protection against moisture, stains, and other potential damage. Most concrete sealers can withstand moderate heat, but it is important to check the manufacturer's specifications to ensure that it is safe to use with your oven. If you are unsure, you may want to consider placing a heat-resistant mat or trivet under your oven.
          2. It is a good idea to raise the insulation slightly off the countertop to allow for airflow and prevent any potential moisture buildup. This can be done using small spacers or blocks. You may also want to consider adding a waterproof barrier underneath the insulation, such as a sheet of plastic or a waterproof membrane, to further protect against moisture. Additionally, you could add weep holes to allow for any water to drain out, but this may not be necessary if you take the proper precautions.

Overall, it's important to ensure that your oven is installed safely and securely on your countertop. If you have any further questions or concerns, it may be helpful to consult with a professional contractor or oven installer who is familiar with the specific materials and techniques involved in your project.

Comment

Originally posted by Chainsaw13 View Post

Congratulations on your concrete countertops and new Casa 90 oven! Here are some answers to your questions:
            1. It is generally recommended to apply a concrete sealer to the entire surface of your countertop, including the area underneath the oven. The sealer will provide protection against moisture, stains, and other potential damage. Most concrete sealers can withstand moderate heat, but it is important to check the manufacturer's specifications to ensure that it is safe to use with your oven. If you are unsure, you may want to consider placing a heat-resistant mat or trivet under your oven.
            2. It is a good idea to raise the insulation slightly off the countertop to allow for airflow and prevent any potential moisture buildup. This can be done using small spacers or blocks. You may also want to consider adding a waterproof barrier underneath the insulation, such as a sheet of plastic or a waterproof membrane, to further protect against moisture. Additionally, you could add weep holes to allow for any water to drain out, but this may not be necessary if you take the proper precautions.

Overall, it's important to ensure that your oven is installed safely and securely on your countertop. If you have any further questions or concerns, it may be helpful to consult with a professional contractor or oven installer who is familiar with the specific materials and techniques involved in your project.
            You are replying to a post that's over four years old. Probably a little late for advice now.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

@david s sorry it's my bad

Comment

Originally posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
                @david s sorry it's my bad
                No worries, I think we’ve all done it.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                X