• Show
Clear All

• Progress made on Casa2g 90

Been a pretty productive weekend so far we were able knock out so far:
    • Weep holes drilled
    • Floor insulation placed and cut
    • Floor placed and leveled
    • Dome pieces set and connected.
    Next we plan to put 4 inches of ceramic fiber blanket and hold on on with chicken wire, attach the oven chimney, and start on the framing for the enclosure (yes, we decided that enclosing it would be best, being in a wet and humid area of the US).

Couple questions going forward:
    1. Is 4 inches of ceramic fiber blanket overkill for 2 inch think cast walls?
    2. We plan to use 3 5/8th metal studs and tracks for build the frame for the enclosure. What are people using on the outside? Durock? Hardie backer board?

No question that a prefab unit is fast to install. Depends on your cooking style, do you want to have a pizza party then maybe cook something the next day or do you want multiday cooking. Also and option install 2" of ceramic blanket then to fill the structure with dry perlite.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 08-08-2020, 03:16 PM.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

We hope to be able to do multi-day cooking, with maybe a lite firing if needed. I have 4" inches of ceramic fiber blanket and 16 cubic feet of Perlite available to use. I can't find it, but I thought I read that after so many inches of blanket it begins to be a waste of money.

Comment

Originally posted by miikee View Post
        Been a pretty productive weekend so far we were able knock out so far:
        • Weep holes drilled
        • Floor insulation placed and cut
        • Floor placed and leveled
        • Dome pieces set and connected.
        Next we plan to put 4 inches of ceramic fiber blanket and hold on on with chicken wire, attach the oven chimney, and start on the framing for the enclosure (yes, we decided that enclosing it would be best, being in a wet and humid area of the US).

Couple questions going forward:
        1. Is 4 inches of ceramic fiber blanket overkill for 2 inch think cast walls?
        2. We plan to use 3 5/8th metal studs and tracks for build the frame for the enclosure. What are people using on the outside? Durock? Hardie backer board?
        I liked the wonder board product i did use Duroc for everything but needed 1 piece and the store I went to only sold wonderboard I think it cut better and screwed on better.
        Last edited by Chach; 08-08-2020, 04:13 PM.
        My Build Pictures
        https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Thank you both! I'll look into the wonderboard, does seem a bit lighter as well. On to cutting the metal framing...

Comment

Chach , what gauge metal framing did you use?

Comment

Chach , what gauge metal framing did you use?
              I used 18g structural steel studs. Reasonably priced and very strong
              My Build Pictures

Comment

You can order them from Menards but there is a minimum of 100 linear ft. I went to a building supply house and was pennys more expensive but I didn't need to buy more than I needed.

Ricky
                My Build Pictures

Comment

Chach , do you think 25 gauge would work? I plan to connect the durock to it and then finish with tile.

Comment

Chach , do you think 25 gauge would work? I plan to connect the durock to it and then finish with tile.
                    If it was just to support tile on a wall no roof then i'd say yes. That particular gauge of stud is not designed or recommended for load bearing construction like supporting a roof on top of those walls. 25 gauge is made for non load bearing interior construction walls. It's not what your hanging on the wall it's what the wall is holding up.

Ricky

My Build Pictures

Comment

They seem to be extremely small, and after some reading, it seems that small cracks are somewhat normal. I wanted to throw it by the pros though to get a second opinion.

image is large, may need to zoom in.

Comment

Hi Mikee,

I moved your new topic on "small cracks day 3 curing" back to one of your other threads. It helps to have a little background information, gives continuity to your build and will help folks form answers to your questions.
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Yesterday was the third curing day as mentioned, and we got the oven up around 350-400 degrees. When I checked the oven this morning after having the door closed overnight, I was still seeing high temperatures around 200-275. Looks to be ok for now?

Attached Files
                          Last edited by miikee; 08-30-2020, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Would love to hear an update and anything you learned. What did you do with the remote thermometer that comes with the gas unit? Meaning, where did you mount it and route the cable?
                            I am almost ready to install my oven, they had a chipped piece of the dome they are replacing. Worried about cold weather coming and if I can pull it off this winter. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X