Casa100 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casa100 build

I’m at the point of putting lath on before scratch coat. I want to add mosaic tile as a finish. Oven is completely under roof.

I am at point of putting lath on for scratch coat. I’ve watched videos from forno that shows scratch coat day one and stucco day two. I emailed FB and they said scratch coat followed by thin set for mosaic tile. My contractor thinks they need to use some other type of mortar for mosaic because it’s outside with fluctuating temperatures.

Who has outside oven with mosaic that you built, what type of mortar did you use for setting mosaic?

thanks

I don't fall into your target group. But, the outside of a properly insulated oven does not get very hot. Where I live, direct sunlight would heat an exterior tile hotter than the fire inside the oven. A scratch and brown coat is the minimum number of coats that stucco needs for strength imo. I think that that is what you saw in the videos. Don't skip the brown coat. I like the standard three coat stucco application My advise is to go with what your contractor is advising. He/She is also probably advising an interior/exterior grade grout as well.
    Last edited by Gulf; 01-02-2022, 06:19 PM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Meehan47 Is this an igloo with mosaic? I'm asking because I'm at the same point with my build but I'm building a house around the oven. Tile will be used on the face and as trim around the hearth. I think I need to put on the tile fist and build the stucco around it. (sorry to hijack your thread)

Comment

Originally posted by hillscp View Post
        Meehan47 Is this an igloo with mosaic? I'm asking because I'm at the same point with my build but I'm building a house around the oven. Tile will be used on the face and as trim around the hearth. I think I need to put on the tile fist and build the stucco around it. (sorry to hijack your thread)
        It is dome shaped. I can’t seem to locate small mosaics that I want. I wanted red 1/2-1” mosaic. The tile store said they think they will fail because of the freeze/thaw where I’m located. It’s completely under roof but will get some
        blowing moisture.

I might call FB and ask where they get their mosaic from for their completed ovens.

Comment

They sell it on their site but it is prohibitively expensive

Comment

I was concerned about mosaic tiles on the outer decorative arches on my ovens in terms of the heat cycling causing them to fall off. I went ahead anyhow and haven't had any failures in more than 15 years. However a customer who purchased one of my ovens 12 years ago recently contacted me and reported that several of the slate pieces on his oven were falling off. He fires the oven regularly once a week, so it's had plenty of use. Contemplating this issue I rememberers that another customer with a slate arch also reported that one of the pieces on his oven had fallen off. On researching the thermal conductivity of the slate, it turns out that it has a lower thermal conductivity than clay tiles which are similar to standard concrete. This would set up an incompatible thermal expansion and presumably is the cause of the failure.
            I use a quality outdoor tile adhesive and always recommend glossy tiles and black grout, which makes it easy to clean off any soot staining.I will skip the slate decoration idea, a pity because it looks great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sam Steadman copy.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	852.4 KB
ID:	444345
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
            X