Casa 110 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casa 110 build

Newbie to the forum. I am in to the build of my Casa2G110. I will be posting process and photos soon.
    I have a question about the mortar joint for the dome. Is there an issue with the slight cracking it developed after drying.

Thank you
    Mike

Foundation:
    Extended my patio to make room for oven area. 6” with ½” rebar.
    Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Base complete ready for Dome!

Comment

Be sure to drill some weep holes under the dome area. We insulation a key reason for poor oven performance.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Absolutely! I set 5, one center, 4 perimeter with ½" PVC pipe into the form before pouring. I believe I saw one of your posts about this subject pre construct research. Thank you

I am wondering about the mortar slightly cracking when I filled the dome seams...

Comment

Photo's of weep holes and the base pour

Comment

I cannot give you direct experience on the cracking of the joint mortar for an FB oven since I did a brick oven. I suggest you email FB support directly and get their take on it. IMHO, the FB cast pieces over lap and the mortar is not for strength but rather fill the joint gaps and minor crack should not be an issue.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I helped a friend install a Casa 90 several years ago and we had these same kinds of cracks develop in the joint mortar lines. As Russell noted above, these mortar joints are really about filling the gaps. Those cast oven sections do move significantly during the firing cycles and if we removed the outer insulation/facade on any of this type of cast oven you'd see cracks in all those seams.

Your hearth & weep hole setup looks great. Don't forget to cap/cover the weep hole tubes underneath with insect screen. Next layer is your upside down mosaic tile squares to provide an air/moisture gap below your floor insulation. Great start!
                  Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                  Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                  Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                  Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks Russell, appreciate you. Roger that on just filling the gap. I did email FB, no response yet.

Comment

Thank you Mike! I figured as much with the heating and cooling of the oven it would be near impossible for no cracking...

Have them screened, we have a few curious critters in Central Texas....

Appreciate you!

Michael

Comment

I am planning on using metal studs, hardi board and building inclosure with stone. Which will take some time.....so I was thinking of using mortar over the insulation and lathe so that I can start utilizing the oven until I can get the stone structure done. Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                        X