Almost Ready to Stucco -FB board question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost Ready to Stucco -FB board question

Our Casa 90 has been assembled and is now wrapped in blankets & chicken wire awaiting stucco.
    We're going for an igloo shape and I'm designing the transition from the oven vent to the chimney.
    I was wondering whether I could use the FB board to surround the vent attachment and the bottom of the chimney to "support" the wire lathe and then stucco? (like how you can use foam to support shapes when you make concrete sculptures.) This would be instead of using the blanket and trying to make stucco wire completely create the shape. Can you cover the FB Board directly with stucco?

Also, can the insulation blanket touch the DuraTech chimney?

One last question, do I need a refractory mortar for the outside brick archway?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Almost Ready to Stucco -FB board question

Originally posted by stellawood View Post
    Can you cover the FB Board directly with stucco?

Also, can the insulation blanket touch the DuraTech chimney?

One last question, do I need a refractory mortar for the outside brick archway?

Thanks for the help.
    Stellawood,

I didn't use the FB board but something very similar. I found that the wetness from my clay mix softened the paper on the board. I suggest you wrap it with wire. The blanket will withstand the heat at the vent. When I installed the brick on my entry, I used regular type S mortar. It may get a little warm there but nothing like the dome.

Good luck!

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Re: Almost Ready to Stucco -FB board question

Wow. It's cool to see the modular oven. Very clean and looks like it was very fast installation.

I'm not sure what others are using - but with the talk of cracks in the stucco coat I might consider using the surface bonding cement. It's a masonry coating with fiberglass fibers to reinforce it. I used it on my oven base and Hardieboard as the first coat for my stucco. - I have not put the finish coat on my stucco - but I don't have any cracks at this time (and it's been a year).

I bought a product this week for the finish coat (it's about time) - it's an acrylic finish coat with options for different types of finishes. I chose a smooth sandy finish called sandblast and they have tons of differnt color choices. I tried a bit on the back of my oven and it trowels on beautifully - makes me look like a pro. I'm still wondring how well I'll do on the corners...

http://www.dryvit.com/fileshare/doc/...tion/ds416.pdf

Disclaimer - I tend to go for the unconventional - it's worked for me so far. (good thing my wife has that tendancy, too)

Christo
      My oven progress -
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X