Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried Brisbane's woodfired oven kits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried Brisbane's woodfired oven kits?

HI All
    Has anyone tried Brisbane's woodfired oven kits?. The kit is from Total refractory management.
    The kit looks good, is fairly priced ( I think) at $1300 AU and is made from a kit of pre-made refractory concreate parts.
    It comes with the dome, base( cooking surface) flue, door, thermometer, insulation mat, 2 tubes refractory mortar, insulation for base etc. You just need to add the cement-sandgrout to cover the dome in.The size is 1600mm long, 1200 wide and 800mm high so is big enough for us.
    Looks a lot quicker and simpler then my current thoughts of building the brick oven . ( i know the brick oven is better and gives you warms fuzzies for building it but I want good pizza before I get old enought to start worring about wherther I should be eating it.
    Has anyone got any thoughts on it?
    Thanks
    Rob

Re: Anyone tried Brisbane's woodfired oven kits?

Make sure you get a stainless steel flue rather than galv.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

HI
      Thanks David
      The kit comes with a stainless steel flue and cover.
      Have you got one, seen one or heard of them?
      I cooked a few years back in a woodfired oven in a resturant that had a cast oven and it wooked well for us, however it did have a gas jet as a booster ...
      Still leaning this way as the little oven project is starting to look like an outdoor kitchen complete with sink!
      Thanks for your input
      Rob

Comment

I put a gas burner on my first oven, thinking a boost every now and again would keep the temp up. Only ever used it twice, wood is better when you learn how to manage the firing.

Comment

HI
          I won't be having a gas jet, just wood. The oven I have used was cast concrete and seemed to hold heat fine. We only used gas on busy nights if we got to busy to keep the wood up to the oven.
          Rob

Comment

Good luck with the build. What is the internal diam of the oven?

Comment

HI
              Here's the link
              http://www.brisbanewoodfiredovens.com/
              The internal measurements are not listed but must be 800+ mm inside with an external of 1200mm.
              It's the size I will build if I build a brick one.
              Thinking of putting a layer of cement and Vermiculite over the insulation mat and then top that with the concrete mix.
              Should give me plenty of insulation.
              Any other thoughs on this oven?
              Rob
              Last edited by robertjusher; 09-25-2009, 02:52 AM.

Comment

It appears that the flue on this oven is actually in the oven chamber. It works, but heat is easily lost and it doesn't fire as well. I tried this type of design for my second oven before realising that a couple of thousand years of Roman know how and ingenuity had actually got the best design, ie hemisphere, front flue independent of the oven chamber.

Comment

HI
                  The flue is in the chamber, but in the forward half, lower then the top but not perfect but hopefully still work.
                  I was wondering if the heat loss might be less if the flue was extended a little into the chamber.????
                  The drawback with a moulded dome I guess is be only able to use what is available.
                  Pity, the cost is better then I think I could build.
                  Any thoughts on what it costs to build in todays money???
                  Thanks
                  Rob

Comment

Hi I have noticed that there are two types of wfo one with the flue inside and the others the flue is out side of the door . why ? I to have been looking at a few in melbourne .

Comment

Hey Cook21,

Sorry we missed your post. In a nutshell, having the vent inside the oven is a big mistake. In order to control your fire and retain heat, the oven needs to have the vent outside (and just above) the door. That way it can breath and draw while the fire is going, and you can still close off the oven chamber to cut off the air supply and hold in retained heat for baking.

If you find an oven design that has the vent inside the door (they definitely are out there), it is from someone who does not understand how a wood oven works.

Give us a couple of days, and you will be able to buy the FB Casa2G oven in Melbourne. It has a nice vent and sealing door design.

James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hi James i have been doing some reading and i do agree with there are some that are very bad designs . i have ordered a wfo with the flue out side of the oven internal size is one meter radius i think its big enough i will post some pics when i get it .

Comment

Working...
                        X