Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Barrel Vault in So. Cal.

Hey Russ...thanks for the compliments.

The 45 degree entry makes it really easy to work. I can acess every inch of the oven...either with a hoe to move coals around...or with a brush to clean out the fire before baking bread. That was definitely worth doing.

I don't know how far along you are with entry, but if it's not too late one thing to strongly consider is offsetting the entry as suggested and done by Tscarbourough. I was skeptical at first but ultimately did offset so that the entry is shifted about six inches to the left as you face it. As such, the area to the right is substantially wider. As a result, the area to the right of the entry is where the fire goes when I'm cooking pizza with active flame. It gives a nice straight shot and easier access to the cooking area which is to the left of the coals. Once the oven is finished you won't be able to see the offset unless you look inside. Worth considering in my opinion.

Comment

Well, as far as offsetting the entry, that ship has sailed. The way my build is going, the neck comes in at 45 degrees from the 32 inch wide x 34 inch deep barrel area over a distance of about 6 inches, and then there is the 4.5 inch wide support and vent arch over a 20" wide opening that is 10" high. That is where it stands right now.
      What I plan to do when it cools off a bit here is to put 1/2 inch of insulating firebrick between the vent arch and the wall that supports the sides of the flue area and then go back out at a 45 degree angle to the front flue-supporting arch. That will be faced with a decorative arch. The flue area (for back of a better term) will therefore be much wider at the front than at the back allowing good access to the whole oven. The front flue arch will be 15" high then the vent arch and the decorative arch will be 12" high so I can install a couple of halogen lamps on the back side of the decorative arch that will illuminate the oven. I'm hoping that if I turn them on before I light the fire they should get nice and hot and not get covered with soot from the first few flames -we'll see.
      Last edited by couchpotatoe; 07-16-2012, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Finishing the outside!

Getting close to being done. I had some professional help today...(actually I was the helper.) Pancho works for a buddy of mine and he knocked it out in a hurry. He built a cage over the top of the oven...we filled it with 10 cubic feet of perlite...about four inches worth over the top of the oven. Beneath that is two to three inches of blanket and some scraps of Insblok 19. It should stay hot for a very long time.

Building the cage.

Vent on the back

Scratch coat is mostly finished. Need to cover all the brick work above the arch. The only brick you'll see is the arch and the a single column of brick on each side of the entry. The rest will be covered by stucco.

Comment

Finish pics

Getting close.

Front and side views. The little shelf near the top of the oven on the right is the concrete block (under stucco) used to encapsulate the oven. In order to hide the fact that the oven entry is offset, I started the right side of the roof arch on the inside edge of the block...rather than the outside edge of the block as I did on the right. In addition to making the oven appear to be symetrical, I thought it would be nice to have a little a shelf there to set a drink on, set olive oil on, etc. I need to put some type of surface on the concrete counter...tile, granite, something?

The wires coming out of the side with the blue tape on them are the thermocouple wires. I'm going to put a small cabinet on that side to fit that recess and put a temp gauge in it hooked up to the thermocouples. It will also be large enough to store my IR gun and some gloves, etc.

Relatively big vent on back. Note interior stuffed with perlite...need to put a little hood over it to keep rain out.

View of oven from pool area. We don't get a lot of wind, but what we do get prevails from the direction behind and to the right of the oven. The tall stack does a good job of getting the smoke up and above the protion of the house in the left of the photo. I intentionally lined the oven up so that when standing around by the pool in the evening, you are looking directly into the flame-filled entry of the oven. It looks pretty neat at night.

Bill

Comment

One more...
            A friend of mine does a lot of stained glass/blown glass art. So she made me a slice of pizza with glass and ceramic she fired in a kiln. This will be attached to the front of the oven above the brick arch after the color coat goes on the stucco.

Comment

Just Beautiful! It has been an absolute pleasure watching your build progress, and your baking skills go from beginner to semi-expert!

Comment

Thanks. I'm a long way from semi-expert on the baking, but it has been a heck of a fun project.

Bill

Comment

Thanks Doug.

I'm having fun with the bread and am amazed at the way these ovens hold heat and allow you to cook days after the fire goes out. Cool things, these ovens.

Bill

Comment

Hey Kevin...have you started yours yet? I've got a half bag of perlite...if you can use it you're welcome to it. Stop by for a beer some time.

Bill

Comment

• Re: Barrel Vault in So. Cal.

Got the stucco done. Just need to finish the counter top.

Pics...

Comment

Looking good! I really like the way you handed the roof design over the barrel portion. It's neat and simple. I keep questioning how I'm going to do it. I originally submitted a plan to the HOA that was approved and now I'm wondering if something less massive - sort of like the way you handled it - might be a better way to go.
                        Anyway, I just wanted to say it has been great watching your build go up. You've done a nice job and I'm sure will enjoy it for many, many years.
                        -Russ

Comment

Thanks Russ.

I like the look of the arched vault exterior so I always wanted to keep that. To me it screams "oven", and I like that. That being said, I am a bit concerned about water getting through that stucco with no roof to cover it.

On the other hand, we have a very dry climate here with only about 13 inches of rain a year and virtually all of that falling between December and March. I figure if I put a couple of good coats of elastomeric paint on it and tarp it once or twice a year when a multi-day, super gully-washer is forecast, I should be good.

I also constructed the concrete shingles so that the drip line in front is well forward of the landing, and in back the drip line is well behind the point where the chimney penetrates the stucco. I also like the way the shingles tie the oven in with the other structures on the property.

Hopefully it will stay dry.

Bill

Comment

• Almost done...couple of near-final pics

A good friend of mine who does a lot of ceramic work was kind enough to make me a large slice of pizza made from ceramic and then "toppings" which were all then fused together in her kiln.

We she brought it over it was apparent that it was too big so she took it back and cut it into two slices with her band saw.

So here are some pics of them epoxied to the front. I also mounted a tool rack on the side of the oven. (It's on the side facing away from the pool so it doesn't really show.) Now I just need to put some type of permanent surface on the counter, and afix some type of box to hold the readout for the thermocouples.

The pic is crooked here...not the oven.

Comment

Looking good Bill, thats a good friend indeed.
                              "You can tell a dutchman,
                              but you can't tell him much"

Comment

Bill , a couple questions for you . One is why did you decide to go with the lower mass ? What are there advantages to this ? Also what are you venting in the back ? Thanks and its been fun watching your build . nice job!!!!
                                My Oven Build
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/s...ult-18532.html

Comment

Working...
                                X